PowerTOST & FDA [Power / Sample Size]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2022-09-01 18:31 (574 d 12:41 ago) – Posting: # 23256
Views: 1,789

Hi Willem,

❝ Could you elaborate on your note of the use of PowerTOST by FDA? It would provide me an additional argument for using PowerTOST for formal sample size estimation in our company.

Maybe this post helps.

About the validation of PowerTOST with examples:See this document1 about the acceptability of Base R. R is updated every couple of months with documented changes2 and maintaining a bug-tracking system.3 I recommend to use always the latest release.

The authors of PowerTOST tried to do their best to provide reliable and valid results. The package’s NEWS-file documents the development of the package, bug-fixes, and introduction of new methods. Issues are tracked at Git­Hub (as of today none is still open). So far the package had ≈93,000 downloads. Therefore, it is extremely unlikely that bugs were not detected given its large user base.

However, the ultimate responsibility of validating any software (yes, of SAS as well…) lies in the hands of the user.

1. The R Foundation for Statistical Computing. A Guidance Document for the Use of R in Regulated Clinical Trial Environments. Vienna. October 18, 2021. Online.
  2. The R Foundation. R News. 2022-04-22. Online.
  3. Bugzilla. R bug tracking system. Online.
  4. WHO. Guidance for organizations performing in vivo bioequivalence studies. Geneva. May 2016. Technical Report Series No. 996, Annex 9. Section 4.4. Online.
  5. FDA, CDER/CBER. E9 Statistical Principles for Clinical Trials. Rockville. September 1998. Section V.H. Download.
  6. FDA. Statistical Software Clarifying Statement. May 6, 2015. Download.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,636 registered users;
91 visitors (0 registered, 91 guests [including 5 identified bots]).
Forum time: 06:12 CET (Europe/Vienna)

With four parameters I can fit an elephant,
and with five I can make him wiggle his trunk.    John von Neumann

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5