may be possible -> Simulating studies in Excel not possible [Power / Sample Size]

posted by yjlee168 Homepage – Kaohsiung, Taiwan, 2020-10-17 10:09 (1248 d 19:38 ago) – Posting: # 22019
Views: 3,215

(edited by yjlee168 on 2020-10-17 14:12)

Hi Helmut,

❝ ...

❝ Sorry, you have to convince your paranoic IT department.

Agree definitely.

❝ ...

❝ Background: For all reference-scaled approaches (the EMA’s ABEL, the FDA’s RSABE and NTID) you have to simulate studies. To get a stable result 100,000 are required. Even if you manage it to simulate subjects in Excel (a nutjob’s work but in principle doable), you will hit even in the current version of Excel the maximum number of rows (220 = 1,048,576). In other words, you can’t simulate more than 10 subjects…

Not quite (my turn :-D). IMHO, simulation with MS-Excel does not require so many cells or number of rows. In MS-Excel or MS-Word, there is a macro language called VBA (Visual BASIC for Application) that is similar to any programming language. So you just save the final results when doing simulations. Therefore, I don't think you need so many cells to save each simulation, if I understand what you said correctly.

Ps. Here is a very nice slide file about MS-Excel simulations.

All the best,
-- Yung-jin Lee
bear v2.9.1:- created by Hsin-ya Lee & Yung-jin Lee
Kaohsiung, Taiwan https://www.pkpd168.com/bear
Download link (updated) -> here

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,940 posts in 4,812 threads, 1,639 registered users;
40 visitors (0 registered, 40 guests [including 8 identified bots]).
Forum time: 04:47 CET (Europe/Vienna)

Those people who think they know everything
are a great annoyance to those of us who do.    Isaac Asimov

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5