☆    

Spain,
2011-02-22 15:05
(4783 d 21:43 ago)

Posting: # 6659
Views: 4,099

Pre-dose concentrations in period 2 [Study As­sess­ment]

Dear colleagues,

First of all I would like to give thanks for this forum, it seems very helpful.
This is my first time writting, and I'm very naive in BA/BE studies.

I would like some advice on how to justify pre-dose concentration in the 2nd period, as we found them in around 50 % of subjects. It's very clear that the wash-out period was insufficient, but I would like to report that in an elegant way.

As far as I know it should not be critical as all of them are below 5% of Cmax. Both test and reference were affected equally.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Averroes

Edit: Category changed; see also this post #1. [Helmut]
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2011-02-22 15:45
(4783 d 21:03 ago)

@ Averroes
Posting: # 6660
Views: 3,497

Pre-dose concentrations in period 2

Dear Averroes!

❝ I would like some advice on how to justify pre-dose concentration in the 2nd period, as we found them in around 50 % of subjects. It's very clear that the wash-out period was insufficient, but I would like to report that in an elegant way.

Well, nothing to justify here. Shit happens; just report it and learn from it for the next studies. A common mistake is to plan the washout on the mean half-life reported in literature. Remember that higher than expected pre-dose values may occur if there is high inter-subject variability (especially if the drug is subjected to polymorphism). Plan always for the worst case (see this presentation, slides 40-42).

❝ As far as I know it should not be critical as all of them are below 5% of Cmax. Both test and reference were affected equally.

Right. Maybe you will see a slight period effect, which will be accounted for in the ANOVA anyway. Just give it a try: Take the data of any BE study and multiply all values in the second period by let's say 100. The outcome (PE, confidence interval) will be exactly the same – although you will notice a highly significant period effect.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
Averroes
☆    

Spain,
2011-02-22 19:14
(4783 d 17:34 ago)

@ Helmut
Posting: # 6661
Views: 3,393

Pre-dose concentrations in period 2

Dear HS,

Thanks for your comments and for your quick reply!!!
For sure I will take into account for the future.

Do you think we will receive comments from regulatory authorities due to that? or as long as all concentrations are below 5% of Cmax it's OK.

I have to say that I used Mean+SD reported in previous bioequivalence studies and SmPC to calculate washout, so as per your comments I shouldn't have %50 percent of subjects with pre-dose levels. On the other hand, I used a lower LLOQ, then I think pre-dose levels are due to flat part of the profile (pure elimination phase).

I think I will use data on SmPC and literature to justify this fact, hoping that it has no impact on the assessment of the application.

Thanks!!!
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,636 registered users;
95 visitors (0 registered, 95 guests [including 8 identified bots]).
Forum time: 12:49 CET (Europe/Vienna)

With four parameters I can fit an elephant,
and with five I can make him wiggle his trunk.    John von Neumann

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5