★★  

USA,
2010-10-27 05:23
(4929 d 15:50 ago)

Posting: # 6084
Views: 5,186

power of bioequivalence test [Power / Sample Size]

Tuesday October 26, 2010:

Concept of power of bioequivalence study troubles me.

The BE test of the pharmacokinetic parameters (Cmax and AUC) should be powered to be 0.8. Now, if after completing a BE data analysis, assume the parameter passes since it falls within the confidence intervals of 0.8-1.25. If at that point the power is calculated and the value is 0.5 does it mean "you got lucky" but "do not try it again".

Another point is if the parameter fails the BE test by being outside the confidence intervals for test v reference then you calculate the power. Will the value be low say ~0.4. or can the power of the test on this parameter failing BE still be 0.8 or above?

Please can someone me through this?

Angus

Edit: Category changed. [Helmut]
d_labes
★★★

Berlin, Germany,
2010-10-27 13:00
(4929 d 08:14 ago)

@ AngusMcLean
Posting: # 6087
Views: 4,556

Post-hoc power myth

Dear Angus,

have a look at this post and search for others. We had this theme already discussed often. Have also a look at Helmut's famous lectures / presentation especially the latest:
"Sample Size Challenges in BE Studies and the Myth of Power"

Regards,

Detlew
yjlee168
★★★
Homepage
Kaohsiung, Taiwan,
2010-10-27 14:06
(4929 d 07:08 ago)

@ d_labes
Posting: # 6089
Views: 4,552

Post-hoc power myth

Dear D. Labes & Helmut,

Great presentations & refs. Just cannot miss this one. Many thanks. :clap:

❝ latest:

"Sample Size Challenges in BE Studies and the Myth of Power" :ok:

Edit: THX for the compliments! I had 50 minutes for the presentation today - therefore I started with a polite "Please fasten seat belts!" :-D [Helmut]

All the best,
-- Yung-jin Lee
bear v2.9.1:- created by Hsin-ya Lee & Yung-jin Lee
Kaohsiung, Taiwan https://www.pkpd168.com/bear
Download link (updated) -> here
ElMaestro
★★★

Denmark,
2010-10-27 13:41
(4929 d 07:33 ago)

@ AngusMcLean
Posting: # 6088
Views: 5,056

power of bioequivalence test

Ahoy Angus,

❝ The BE test of the pharmacokinetic parameters (Cmax and AUC) should be powered to be 0.8.

I completely agree with d_labes and will add that power is not a formalised requirement. Consider it from a regulator's view; it is all about risks and benefit when she or he gives his nod to a dossier or shreds it. Given a dossier, the assessor has a study report with the actual results available. Power at this point will not affect neither the risk or the benefit, only the result of the trial counts here.

Power is your chance of showing equivalence with a given number of subjects provided your assumptions (around CV and T/R) are met. Therefore, power is not your headache and it is not the regulator's headache either. Power is a headache that belongs to the guy in the Armani suit who allocates money to your project. Such people often are not too well versed with science but they know how make a Windsor tie knot and other very useful stuff. Give such guy a graph of power versus N comes and present it as "chance of success as function of N" or even "chance of approval as function of cost" (in some cases give him an aspirin as well).

Pass or fail!
ElMaestro
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,993 posts in 4,828 threads, 1,652 registered users;
136 visitors (0 registered, 136 guests [including 7 identified bots]).
Forum time: 21:14 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

Never never never never use Excel.
Not even for calculation of arithmetic means.    Martin Wolfsegger

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5