★    

India,
2008-12-18 20:23
(5605 d 09:05 ago)

Posting: # 2947
Views: 3,354

drug administration [Regulatives / Guidelines]

Hi to everyone

Can any one tell me why are some drugs administered with apple sauce. Does apple sauce effect the pharmacokinetics.

bye
dixit :-)
drclshah
☆    

2008-12-19 14:52
(5604 d 14:35 ago)

@ dixit
Posting: # 2950
Views: 2,949

drug administration

Grapefruit juice: Grapefruit juice may significantly increase concentrations of some drug like verapamil.
example: Grapefruit juice given to nine healthy volunteers increased S- and R- verapamil AUC0-12 by 36% and 28%, respectively. Steady state Cmax and Cmin of S-verapamil increased by 57% and 16.7%, respectively, with grapefruit juice compared to control. Similarly, Cmax and Cmin of R-verapamil increased by 40% and 13%, respectively. Grapefruit juice did not affect half-life, nor was there a significant change in AUC0-12 ratio R/S compared to control. Grapefruit juice did not cause a significant difference in the PK of norverapamil. This increase in verapamil plasma concentration is not expected to have any clinical consequences.

i think that it is same as applesauce
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2008-12-19 15:52
(5604 d 13:36 ago)

@ drclshah
Posting: # 2953
Views: 3,963

Sprinkle study (applesauce)

Dear Dr Clasha!

❝ Grapefruit juice [...]

... contains furanocoumarins which bind to cytochrome P450-3A4 and reduce the first-pass metabolism of drugs which are metabolised by this CYP subfamily.

❝ i think that it is same as applesauce

I don’t think so. Search the forum…
Since many children are not able or do not like to swallow intact capsules, it would be advantageous for compliance, if the content could be sprinkled on applesauce and administered without the capsule cover. In order to assist administration, maintenance of the galenic principle after dispersion of the content of the capsule on food is generally assessed in a “sprinkle study” (pH of applesauce ~3.5).

EMEA/CHMP
Reflection Paper: Formulations of Choice for the Paediatric Population
EMEA/CHMP/PEG/194810/2005 (23 June 2005)

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,993 posts in 4,828 threads, 1,658 registered users;
69 visitors (0 registered, 69 guests [including 6 identified bots]).
Forum time: 06:28 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

So far as I can remember,
there is not one word in the Gospels
in praise of intelligence.    Bertrand Russell

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5