hema.surineni
●    

2006-08-19 11:04
(6453 d 02:21 ago)

(edited by HS on 2006-08-19 12:16)
Posting: # 226
Views: 6,148

Innovator or Generic? [Design Issues]

Hi who ever see this/know this just give a kind reply.

What is the difference between Innovators and Generic product. Just explain me in detailed by giving some suitable sites information if you can.

Regards,

HS

--
Edit: Category and title changed [Helmut, also HS]
H_Rotter
★    

Germany,
2006-08-19 15:20
(6452 d 22:04 ago)

@ hema.surineni
Posting: # 229
Views: 4,939

Innovator or Generic?

Hi Hema!

❝ What is the difference between Innovators and Generic product. Just explain me in detailed by giving some suitable sites information if you can.

You are at the right site anyway ;-)

An innovator got an approval for his product by demonstration of efficacy and safety (clinical phases II-III); clinical phase IV occurs after approval. For his (in some cases disputable) innovate efforts he is granted the exclusive rights to market this compound/product for a couple of years (patent of the drug: generally 20 years, but may be differ from country to country - leaving 10-12 years after market authorization).

After this period of time, other - generic - companies may get an 'abbreviated' approval. If they demonstrate bioequivalence of their (generic) product, they may also marketed their product - generally at a cheaper price (because they did not have the development costs of a new compound, and the large efficacy/safety studies).
The main assumption in bioequivalence (BE) is: if the blood- (plasma-, serum-,…) levels are 'superimposable', the concentration at the site of action (e.g., at a receptor) is also the same and therefore yielding the same pharmacodynamic response. Although this is only an assumption (we cannot take samples from brain tissue to check to concentration of an antiepileptic), it's a well founded one.
The concept of BE is common practice for more than 25 years now and, besides some anecdotal reports, there is no reason to believe that there is a difference in efficacy/safety between innovator and generic products.

For an explanantion in statistical terms have a look at Helmut's post.
A collection of national and international guidances is also available at this site.

See also Wikipedia on Bioequivalence and Generics.
A wonderful collection of knowledge is David Bourne's PK/PD-Site.

Best regards,
Hermann
hema.surineni
●    

2006-08-19 16:25
(6452 d 20:59 ago)

(edited by HS on 2006-08-20 19:35)
@ H_Rotter
Posting: # 230
Views: 4,924

Innovator or Generic: Thanks

Hi Hermann,

Thank you for your Precious and rightaway Reply. I appreciate your prompt clarification.

Thanks a lot.

Hema.

[Dear Hema, please do not open a new thread; I moved your post to the old one -- Helmut]
H_Rotter
★    

Germany,
2006-08-21 11:39
(6451 d 01:46 ago)

@ hema.surineni
Posting: # 231
Views: 4,745

Innovator or Generic: Thanks

Dear Hema,

my pleasure!

Hermann
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,987 posts in 4,824 threads, 1,663 registered users;
81 visitors (0 registered, 81 guests [including 5 identified bots]).
Forum time: 13:25 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity
is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.    Voltaire

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5