yjlee168
★★★
Homepage
Kaohsiung, Taiwan,
2022-02-17 21:52
(769 d 12:24 ago)

(edited by yjlee168 on 2022-02-17 23:26)
Posting: # 22791
Views: 2,476

installation issue for bear since 2022 [🇷 for BE/BA]

Dear all bear users,

Hope you all are doing well. Since two additional R packages (RGtk2 & cairoDevice) have been removed from CRAN (R package repository) at the end of 2021 finally, the original bear installation script (preinst.r v6.0) does not work anymore. This will especially affect the new installation. I have been trying to fix it. Both RGtk2 & cairoDevice packages need to be built from archived sources for all platforms (Linux, macOS & Windows). Fortunately, so far it works well on Debian Linux (Bullseye & Buster). Do not use Synaptic Package Manager to install these two packages in Debian. It won't work and you will still get the error message of Graphics API version mismatch. I need to test on other platforms (Linux Ubuntu/macOS/Windows) later before releasing it. The issue of Graphics API version bump (mismatch) for R v4.1.x can be solved at the same time on Debian Linux if we can build RGtk2 & cairoDevice from sources. That'll be all. Thanks for reading. :ok:

Ps.:confused: No user has reported this issue yet.

All the best,
-- Yung-jin Lee
bear v2.9.1:- created by Hsin-ya Lee & Yung-jin Lee
Kaohsiung, Taiwan https://www.pkpd168.com/bear
Download link (updated) -> here
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2022-02-17 23:27
(769 d 10:48 ago)

@ yjlee168
Posting: # 22793
Views: 2,102

installation issue for bear since 2022

Dear Yung-jin,

your sources are beyond me and therefore, my question might be stupid. :-D
Why do you need CairoDevice? pdf() should do as well and for bitmaps e.g., png(type = "cairo", ...)
Of course, RGtk2 is another pot of tea.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
yjlee168
★★★
Homepage
Kaohsiung, Taiwan,
2022-02-18 00:20
(769 d 09:55 ago)

(edited by yjlee168 on 2022-02-18 21:54)
@ Helmut
Posting: # 22795
Views: 2,042

about cairo device

Dear Helmut,

Very good question indeed. Right, cairo is not used in bear. All plots in bear are shown with graphics device as the default, as well as pdf(). However the other four packages (stab, PKfit, ivivc & tdm) we developed need cairo device since we show the plots in GUI as below picture. CairoDevice is the only available package in R to work with RGtk2. That may be why they both retired at the same time. Sorry to confuse you.

[image]

One major advantage of plotting in GUI is that we can further manipulate the plots simply, such as adjusting the x- & y-axis scale (package stab), simulation, etc.. The video is an example.

All the best,
-- Yung-jin Lee
yjlee168
★★★
Homepage
Kaohsiung, Taiwan,
2022-02-22 23:43
(764 d 10:32 ago)

@ yjlee168
Posting: # 22802
Views: 1,964

update of installation script (v6.1) for bear

Dear bear users,

I just uploaded the installation script (preinst.r, v6.1) of bear to Sourceforge. The update solves the issues due to the retired RGtk2 & cairoDevice, as well as previous gWidgets & gWidgetsRGtk2. Also the issue of Graphics API version mismatch/bump in Debian for R 4.1.x. Now building from archived sources for these four retired packages is not a problem for Linux (Debian/Ubuntu) and macOS. However, it is a really big problem for Windows now. That is because the user needs to install and set up a GTK development program first to build RGtk2 from its source. We used to install RGtk2 using its "binary" directly downloaded from CRAN. It's the good old days. So far, I still cannot figure out how to successfully do that. Therefore, for Windows OS, the best way to install RGtk2 & cairoDevice is from their binaries (*.zip). Fortunately, we still can find their binaries from cran.microsoft.com/snapshot. Thanks to Microsoft this time, as well as the Google master. Don't know how long this Microsoft website can remain valid. Of course, I will try to figure out how to build RGtk2 & cairoDevice from their sources for Windows OS as possible as I can. That's it.

All the best,
-- Yung-jin Lee
dshah
★★  

India/United Kingdom,
2022-02-24 13:28
(762 d 20:47 ago)

@ yjlee168
Posting: # 22804
Views: 2,005

update of installation script (v6.1) for bear

Dear Yung-jin Lee!
Thank you for the Update.
Initially I was not able to install the package but now I am able to install bear and r for ivivc.

Regards,
Dshah
yjlee168
★★★
Homepage
Kaohsiung, Taiwan,
2022-03-06 01:49
(753 d 08:26 ago)

@ yjlee168
Posting: # 22823
Views: 1,804

preinst2.r for bear installation

Dear bear users,

Yes, the website of cran.microsoft.com was down earlier this morning (temporarily?? I hope so). I just uploaded the other installation script (preinst2.r) to Sourceforge. If preinst.r does not work, preinst2.r should be used as backup. The only difference between two scripts is the download source for RGtk2 & cairoDevice packages. Too bad, I still cannot successfully compile these two packages on Windows yet. :ponder:

All the best,
-- Yung-jin Lee
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,640 registered users;
71 visitors (0 registered, 71 guests [including 4 identified bots]).
Forum time: 10:16 CET (Europe/Vienna)

Nothing shows a lack of mathematical education more
than an overly precise calculation.    Carl Friedrich Gauß

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5