nobody
nothing

2020-03-03 12:33
(1486 d 01:04 ago)

Posting: # 21194
Views: 3,973

They did it again... validation data sets available now :-D [Software]

Hi!

Schütz, H., Labes, D., Tomashevskiy, M. et al. Reference Datasets for Studies in a Replicate Design Intended for Average Bioequivalence with Expanding Limits. AAPS J 22, 44 (2020). doi:10.1208/s12248-020-0427-6

no comment...

Kindest regards, nobody
Shuanghe
★★  

Spain,
2020-03-04 11:45
(1485 d 01:52 ago)

@ nobody
Posting: # 21198
Views: 3,113

They did it again... validation data sets available now :-D

❝ Schütz, H., Labes, D., Tomashevskiy, M. et al.

What an evil group! I guess many people will get busy with validation. :-D

I do have a complain though, not relating to the content. For people using LaTeX, the using of letter spacing on page 3 of 7, left column, is almost a crime. Dose the publisher has no LaTeX template for better format?

All the best,
Shuanghe
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2020-03-04 12:39
(1485 d 00:59 ago)

@ Shuanghe
Posting: # 21199
Views: 3,110

Ugly!

Hi Shuanghe,

❝ I do have a complain though […]. For people using LaTeX, the using of letter spacing on page 3 of 7, left column, is almost a crime.

Not only that one is an insult to an eye trained in typography. Just have a look at the tables…

❝ Dose the publisher has no LaTeX template for better format?

Manuscripts have to be submitted in fucking M$-Word format. Duno which limit was used for automatic hyphenation of 84.5 mm columns. 1 cm?

This is what we submitted (bullet points left-aligned and content in grouped style with left intend):

[image]

And that’s the result:

[image]

Springer offers also “content sharing”: https://rdcu.be/b1m8j

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
Shuanghe
★★  

Spain,
2020-03-04 16:26
(1484 d 21:11 ago)

@ Helmut
Posting: # 21201
Views: 3,044

Off topic

Hi Helmut,

❝ Not only that one is an insult to an eye trained in typography. Just have a look at the tables…

I know. The horizontal lines of the tables are so thick that I'm almost sure that I can pick them up and beat the publisher with them... :-D:-D But I tried not to judge the excellent content with the not-so-fortunate appearance. ;-) But the letter spacing on that page is something that jumped out and hit me when I glimpsed quickly, hence the only complain. :-D

❝ Manuscripts have to be submitted in fucking M$-Word format. Duno which limit was used for automatic hyphenation of 84.5 mm columns. 1 cm?

TeX's hyphenation algorithm is the best, no doubt.

❝ This is what we submitted (bullet points left-aligned and content in grouped style with left intend):

❝ ...

❝ And that’s the result:

❝ ...

What a shame...

A nitpicking if allowed, the convention seems to be that for descriptive subscript, the symbols should be upright Roman. "max" in Cmax is descriptive, so it should be upright, not in italic :-)

All the best,
Shuanghe
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2020-03-05 12:59
(1484 d 00:39 ago)

@ Shuanghe
Posting: # 21207
Views: 3,019

Typography

Hi Shuanghe,

❝ […] the convention seems to be that for descriptive subscript, the symbols should be upright Roman. "max" in Cmax is descriptive, so it should be upright, not in italic :-)

THX, I didn’t know that! Are you happy with this? \(\small{C_{\textrm{max}}}\)
\textup{} is not supported in MathJax. :confused:
Check: \(\small{C_{\textup{max}}}\)

However, \textrm{} → \(\small{C_{\textrm{max}}}\) and \text{} → \(\small{C_{\text{max}}}\) works.

Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
Shuanghe
★★  

Spain,
2020-03-05 17:37
(1483 d 20:00 ago)

@ Helmut
Posting: # 21209
Views: 2,976

Typography

Hi Helmut,

❝ THX, I didn’t know that!

NIST's Typefaces for Symbols in Scientific Manuscripts.

I was bored some years back when I was learning LaTeX so I read some typographic stuff and it seems that's the consensus...

❝ Are you happy with this? \(\small{C_{\textrm{max}}}\)

That's what I would write. But this is nothing comparing to the alignment of the numbers the journal made in those tables. :-D

Anyway, M$ Word is the only one I can use at work so I'm a bit numb about the format now. I used to be able to spot 2 consecutive space in a document immediately and always had to delete one; now I accept report with a small table in the middle of page occupying 1/3 page and another 1/3 on top and on bottom page are completely empty, never even mention the orphans and widows on many pages (though I haven't seen the latter much recently, maybe M$ change settings?)...

❝ I had to use \textrm{} since \textup{} is not supported in MathJax. :confused:

❝ Check: \(\small{C_{\textup{max}}}\)

Yes, it's not supported according to official documentation. But even for some of the "supported commands" I cannot use it here. e.g., \LaTeX{} and \TeX{} are supported and they should output their typographic symbols, respectively, according to the previous link, but it seems I cannot get them to work.

All the best,
Shuanghe
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2020-03-05 18:41
(1483 d 18:56 ago)

@ Shuanghe
Posting: # 21210
Views: 2,969

Typography

Hi Shuanghe,

❝ NIST's Typefaces for Symbols in Scientific Manuscripts.

I see.

❝ […] alignment of the numbers the journal made in those tables. :-D

Yep. Extremely ugly.

❝ Anyway, M$ Word is the only one I can use at work so I'm a bit numb about the format now. I used to be able to spot 2 consecutive space in a document immediately and always had to delete one; …

Welcome to the club. I also like superfluous space before the paragraph mark. IIRC, this was already introduced in Word 6.

❝ … now I accept report with a small table in the middle of page occupying 1/3 page and another 1/3 on top and on bottom page are completely empty, never even mention the orphans and widows on many pages (though I haven't seen the latter much recently, maybe M$ change settings?)...

Duno. In the default setup (for ages) it should be prevented. However, if someone changes that in a particular paragraph, bad luck. Furthermore, the copy-and-paste devil spreads this disease faster than SARS-CoV-2. In my CRO we had templates for everything. Sometimes tables looked weired. Couldn’t figure out why until I saw a colleague pressing the ⇑    while dragging a vertical column limiter with the left mouse key. Great.

❝ […] But even for some of the "supported commands" I cannot use it here. e.g., \LaTeX{} and \TeX{} are supported and they should output their typographic symbols, respectively, according to the previous link, but it seems I cannot get them to work.

Strange enough both are rendered in italics: \(\small{\LaTeX}\) and \(\small{\TeX}\). But \rm\LaTeX works: \(\small{\rm\LaTeX}\)

Helmut Schütz
[image]

Science Quotes
d_labes
★★★

Berlin, Germany,
2020-03-04 16:43
(1484 d 20:54 ago)

@ Shuanghe
Posting: # 21202
Views: 3,093

Evil group

Dear Shuanghe,

❝ ❝ Schütz, H., Labes, D., Tomashevskiy, M. et al.

❝ What an evil group! I guess many people will get busy with validation. :-D

Totally correct :-).
The full list of members of that group of delinquents:

Helmut Schütz, Detlew Labes, Michael Tomashevskiy, Mario González de la Parra, Anastasia Shitova and Anders Fuglsang

Almost all good known for their sins here in the Forum.

Regards,

Detlew
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,639 registered users;
92 visitors (0 registered, 92 guests [including 7 identified bots]).
Forum time: 13:38 CET (Europe/Vienna)

Nothing shows a lack of mathematical education more
than an overly precise calculation.    Carl Friedrich Gauß

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5