Babe_Ruth
☆    

USA,
2018-06-19 20:13
(2108 d 17:56 ago)

Posting: # 18924
Views: 3,453

Exclusion of PK parameters where less than 3 quantifiable concentrations [NCA / SHAM]

I read in a PK report: "Where less than 3 quantifiable concentrations, AUC is not reported." Is this because of imprecision and inaccuracy with calculations due to lack of data points?

Should this rule be extended to all PK parameters (such as Tmax/Cmax)? What's the harm or benefit for excluding Tmax/Cmax?

The way I see it, if you only have two sequential concentrations above quantifiable limit, then you can generate a Tmax, but you can't be sure of the accuracy of Tmax, especially if Cmax is barely above quantitation limit of the assay used.

Edit: Category changed; see also this post #1[Helmut]
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2018-06-20 03:12
(2108 d 10:57 ago)

@ Babe_Ruth
Posting: # 18925
Views: 2,760

Reliable estimates?

Hi Babe_Ruth,

❝ I read in a PK report: "Where less than 3 quantifiable concentrations, AUC is not reported."

Bad English?

❝ The way I see it, if you only have two sequential concentrations above quantifiable limit, then you can generate a Tmax, but you can't be sure of the accuracy of Tmax, especially if Cmax is barely above quantitation limit of the assay used.

I know that some people report “Cmax” based on two concentrations and “AUC” on three. IMHO, that’s crap. I don’t belong to the club of guideline-addicts but
  • EMA (2010)
    A sufficient number of samples to adequately describe the plasma concentration-time profile should be collected. The sampling schedule should include frequent sampling around predicted tmax to provide a reliable estimate of peak exposure. In particular, the sampling schedule should be planned to avoid Cmax being the first point of a concentration time curve. The sampling schedule should also cover the plasma concentration time curve long enough to provide a reliable estimate of the extent of exposure which is achieved if AUC(0–t) covers at least 80% of AUC(0–∞). At least three to four samples are needed during the terminal log-linear phase in order to reliably estimate the terminal rate constant (which is needed for a reliable estimate of AUC(0–∞)).
  • FDA (ANDA draft 2013)
    We recommend drawing blood samples at appropriate times to describe the absorption, distribution, and elimination phases of the drug. For most drugs, we recommend collecting 12 to 18 samples, including a predose sample, per subject, per dose. This sampling should continue for at least three or more terminal elimination half-lives of the drug. The exact timing for sample collection depends on the nature of the drug and the rate of input from the administered dosage form. The sample collection can be spaced in such a way that the maximum concentration of drug in the blood (Cmax) and terminal elimination rate constant (Kel) can be estimated accurately. At least three to four samples should be obtained during the terminal log-linear phase to obtain an accurate estimate of λz from linear regression.
I leave it you counting words like sufficient, reliable, appropriate, accurate

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,639 registered users;
80 visitors (0 registered, 80 guests [including 4 identified bots]).
Forum time: 13:10 CET (Europe/Vienna)

Nothing shows a lack of mathematical education more
than an overly precise calculation.    Carl Friedrich Gauß

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5