☆    

Tamilnadu, India,
2008-05-31 13:30
(5780 d 17:33 ago)

Posting: # 1891
Views: 7,753

P-Value with 90% Confidence Intervals [General Sta­tis­tics]

Dear All,

If I want to report PK parameters Cmax and AUC, why I have to use 90% CI and Why not P-Value?

If I use 90% CI, Cmax and AUC of test and reference formulation are bioequivalent. In this case, P-Value shows that test and reference formulation are significantly different.

Please clarify the above query.

Thanks and Regards,
S.Sasikumar
Jaime_R
★★  

Barcelona,
2008-05-31 15:04
(5780 d 15:59 ago)

@ sasikumar
Posting: # 1892
Views: 6,633

BE # significance testing

Dear S.Sasikumar!

To quote the first paragraph of the forum's policy:

We expect a basic knowledge on BE/BA or related fields and the willingness to begin first with the Search function for similar problems.

In BE we are not interested in rejecting the null-hypothesis of equivalence (this is significance testing), but to reject the null-hypothesis of inequivalence. This can be done by performing two one sided t-tests at alpha 0.05 (the first one 'looking' whether T is below 80% of R and the second one 'looking' whether T is above 125% of R) - the sum of both p-values must be <0.10 to claim BE. Inclusion of a 90% confidence interval within the acceptance range is actually the same thing.
In any study of a high enough sample size you will get a statistically significant difference, but this has nothing to do with clinical significance (which is set mainly to 20%, or to 10% for NTI drugs in some regulations).
If your study was properly planned in terms of power and you get a significant treatment effect there are a couple of explanations possible:
  • lower intra-subject CV,
  • less difference of test from reference,
  • fewer drop-outs than expected, and
  • any combination of the above.
This is just a short blow; I leave the details to the statistical experts.

Edit:
See this post, and this post for references to textbooks.

Regards, Jaime
martin
★★  

Austria,
2008-05-31 18:30
(5780 d 12:33 ago)

@ sasikumar
Posting: # 1894
Views: 6,570

P-Value with 90% Confidence Intervals

dear sasikumar!

this guideline may help in understanding the different concepts of testing for equivalence/non-inferiority and testing for difference/superiority: http://www.tga.gov.au/docs/pdf/euguide/ewp/048299en.pdf

testing for equivalence with a type I error of 5% can be done by the two-sided 90% confidence interval inclusion approach (similar to the two one-sided tests approach TOST). the calculated two-sided 90% confidence interval for the difference between test and reference treatment (e.g. ratio of geometric means) must fall completely within pre-specified margins of equivalence. conventional margins in pharmacokinetics are 0.8 to 1.25 which are symmetric margins for ratios as 1/0.8=1.25 and 1/1.25=0.8.

for more detail regarding testing for equivalence you may find this book helpful: Wellek S (2003). Testing Statistical Hypotheses of Equivalence. Chapman and Hall/CRC Press.

best regards

martin
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2008-06-04 17:41
(5776 d 13:22 ago)

@ martin
Posting: # 1918
Views: 6,539

References again

Dear Martin!

http://www.tga.gov.au/docs/pdf/euguide/ewp/048299en.pdf

… is a really excellent reference for beginners!

❝ for more detail regarding testing for equivalence you may find this book helpful: Wellek S (2003). Testing Statistical Hypotheses of Equivalence. Chapman and Hall/CRC Press.

Oh wow, Wellek's book is not entry level!
I would recommend a selection from this post, namely IMHO increasing level:
Hauschke et al. (2007), Chow and Liu (2000), Patterson and Jones (2006), Senn (2000) – then it's time for Stefan Wellek… :ok:

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
martin
★★  

Austria,
2008-06-04 20:33
(5776 d 10:30 ago)

@ Helmut
Posting: # 1919
Views: 6,442

References again

dear hs !

thank your for pointing out that Wellek's book is too technical for beginners. for beginners I can recommend a document on the FDA's homepage (link). this document may also of interest to researchers with a basic understanding of this topic as this document addresses also the issue of multiplicity in the case of testing for equivalence in more than one parameter.

best regards

martin
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,636 registered users;
102 visitors (0 registered, 102 guests [including 5 identified bots]).
Forum time: 06:03 CET (Europe/Vienna)

With four parameters I can fit an elephant,
and with five I can make him wiggle his trunk.    John von Neumann

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5