☆    

China,
2018-02-26 11:15
(2221 d 23:24 ago)

Posting: # 18462
Views: 6,078

intra-subject variability from CI [General Sta­tis­tics]

Dear All,

From the forum, I found the way to calculate intra-subject variability from confidence interval.

I am wondering how I cite this calculation or anyone can tell me where this calculation originate from?

Thanks,
Shawn
d_labes
★★★

Berlin, Germany,
2018-02-26 13:26
(2221 d 21:12 ago)

@ verstc
Posting: # 18464
Views: 5,338

intra-subject variability from CI

Dear shawn,

❝ From the forum, I found the way to calculate intra-subject variability from confidence interval.

Fine for you. If you are interested in a software for doing this, habe a look into R package PowerTOST / function CI2CV().

❝ I am wondering how I cite this calculation or anyone can tell me where this calculation originate from?

This is a little bit algebra based on the formula of the CI. I don't think that there is a paper dealing with this algebra. I further think there is no need to have a citation for that.

IIRC the little algebra was first mentioned in Helmut's lecture for the conference on "Bioequivalence and Bioavailability" Budapest 2009.

Regards,

Detlew
verstc
☆    

China,
2018-02-26 14:41
(2221 d 19:58 ago)

@ d_labes
Posting: # 18465
Views: 5,316

Dear Detlew

Thanks for your detailed response.

best regards,

Shawn

Edit: Full quote removed. Please delete everything from the text of the original poster which is not necessary in understanding your answer; see also this post #5! [Helmut]
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2018-02-26 14:51
(2221 d 19:48 ago)

@ verstc
Posting: # 18466
Views: 5,353

Hi Shawn,

no rocket science but basic algebra an 8th-grade pupil should be able to handle. I derived the formula about thirty years ago. ;-) Hence, no reference…
For background see this post and followings. If you want a reference for such a trivial calculation see this post.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
Louis52
☆    

2018-03-09 15:27
(2210 d 19:11 ago)

@ Helmut
Posting: # 18510
Views: 4,833

On this subject of finding the CV intra based on info from a previous study/paper, is there a function in Power.TOST or other package that would be something like CVfromCI but based on a DDI rather than BE? Let's say a DDI with one sequence for which we know the PE and CLs for the GMR (test vs. reference).
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2018-03-09 15:39
(2210 d 18:59 ago)

@ Louis52
Posting: # 18511
Views: 4,851

known.designs()

Hi Louis,

❝ […] something like CVfromCI but based on a DDI rather than BE? Let's say a DDI with one sequence for which we know the PE and CLs for the GMR (test vs. reference).

One sequence? Are you thinking about a paired design? IMHO, DDI studies should be performed as crossovers. In paired designs you have to assume (!) that there are no period effects. However, if you have data of such a study, use e.g.,

library(PowerTOST)
CVfromCI(lower=0.89, upper=1.15, n=24, design="paired")

# [1] 0.2634199

BTW, the function CVfromCI() (alias CI2CV()) supports all designs listed in known.designs().

Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
Louis52
☆    

2018-03-09 16:13
(2210 d 18:26 ago)

@ Helmut
Posting: # 18512
Views: 4,818

known.designs()

Hi Helmut,

I thought about the 'paired' design as I looked into known designs(), but I was not sure. Indeed the DDIs are COs but in several instances it happens that in period 1 a subject receives what is called the 'probe' while in period 2 it receives the "probe+investigational drug". I'm trying to find the CV intra associated with a particular "probe" based on DDI study in a published paper (no CV intra, just PE, CI, and N), as I need to use it in the sample size determination (precision only, no power) for a new DDI. Would 'paired' cover this situation? Of course, I can try to do it manually, but if it is already out there,...then why not use it.
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2018-03-09 16:42
(2210 d 17:57 ago)

@ Louis52
Posting: # 18513
Views: 4,881

known.designs()

Hi Louis,

❝ I thought about the 'paired' design as I looked into known designs(), but I was not sure.

You were guessing right.

❝ […] in several instances it happens that in period 1 a subject receives what is called the 'probe' while in period 2 it receives the "probe+investigational drug".

Designed without consulting a statistician? Lacking period effects is a strong assumption.
The only designs where a paired design is common is assessing linear PK of a new drug. Such a study starts with a single dose followed by saturation and another profile in (pseudo) steady state. Then we compare AUC0–τ (MD) with AUC0–∞ (SD). Performing such a study as a crossover would be a logistic nightmare. Never ever have seen one.

❝ I'm trying to find the CV intra associated with a particular "probe" based on DDI study in a published paper (no CV intra, just PE, CI, and N), as I need to use it in the sample size determination (precision only, no power) for a new DDI. Would 'paired' cover this situation?

Yes.

Helmut Schütz
[image]

Science Quotes
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,640 registered users;
89 visitors (0 registered, 89 guests [including 7 identified bots]).
Forum time: 10:39 CET (Europe/Vienna)

Nothing shows a lack of mathematical education more
than an overly precise calculation.    Carl Friedrich Gauß

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5