★    

Brazil,
2015-10-07 02:24
(3114 d 13:12 ago)

Posting: # 15520
Views: 9,565

Linear Pharmacokinetics of Levamlodipine [PK / PD]

Dear,
anybody have references about linear pharmacokinetics of Levamlodipine between 2,5 - 5,0 mg?

Levamlodipine is also known as levoamlodipine or S-amlodipine and it is a pharmacologically active enantiomer of amlodipine. Can I conclude if amlodipine (racemic mixture) has linear pharmacokinetics, levamlodipine follows the same behavior? :confused:

Best regads!
Mauricio Sampaio
★    

Brazil,
2016-06-04 00:33
(2873 d 15:03 ago)

@ Mauricio Sampaio
Posting: # 16393
Views: 7,653

Linear Pharmacokinetics of Levamlodipine

❝ anybody have references about linear pharmacokinetics of Levamlodipine between 2,5 - 5,0 mg?

❝ Levamlodipine is also known as levoamlodipine or S-amlodipine and it is a pharmacologically active enantiomer of amlodipine. Can I conclude if amlodipine (racemic mixture) has linear pharmacokinetics, levamlodipine follows the same behavior? :confused:

Hi members!
Somebody have any contribution with the question posted?
Mauricio Sampaio
★    

Brazil,
2016-06-06 18:19
(2870 d 21:17 ago)

@ Mauricio Sampaio
Posting: # 16402
Views: 7,603

Quantification of S-amlodipine

Dear,

Amlodipine is a racemic mixture of [-]S and [+]R-enantiomeric forms, with the S-amlodipine, also known as Levamlodipine, having analgesic activity.
Considering the main objective in bioanalysis will be development an achiral method, simple, sensitive, rapid and reliable mass spectrometry for the quantification of S-amlodipine in human plasma. I ask you,...can I use Amlodipine (racemic) instead of S-amlodipine (enantiomeric form) as analitical standard?

Note: The volunteers just will administrate Levamlodipine.
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2016-06-06 22:23
(2870 d 17:13 ago)

@ Mauricio Sampaio
Posting: # 16403
Views: 7,504

Dear Mauricio,

we have done that for other drugs where only the racemate is commercially available as a certified standard. You have to assess and quantify the enantiomeric purity (which is not given in the CoA). Had no issues with the EMA (current GL).

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
nobody
nothing

2016-06-07 10:29
(2870 d 05:07 ago)

@ Helmut
Posting: # 16404
Views: 7,421

❝ You have to assess and quantify the enantiomeric purity (which is not given in the CoA).

Hy!

in my strange parallel-universe I would have to have at least one pure enantiomer to do this, or am I totally wrong with this?

Kindest regards, nobody
Mauricio Sampaio
★    

Brazil,
2016-06-07 20:35
(2869 d 19:01 ago)

@ nobody
Posting: # 16407
Views: 7,450

I agree with you Nobody.

If the analytical response of S-amlodipine present in racemic compound is the same of isolate enantiomer using chiral method, I can determinate the purity.

But, in my case, I do not have a chiral method available in bio-analysis. Then, I keep my doubt...can I use Amlodipine (racemic) instead of S-amlodipine (enantiomeric form) as analitical standard? Both standard are available on the market, but I can not aquire the pure enantiomere in short time.

What are the guaranties of my correct quantification of S-Amlodipine in plasma with a method that do not make any difference between R and S enantiomeres present in analitical reference standard?
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2016-06-08 03:32
(2869 d 12:04 ago)

@ Mauricio Sampaio
Posting: # 16412
Views: 7,325

Hi Mauricio,

I incorrectly assumed that you have a chiral method. Sorry.

❝ What are the guaranties of my correct quantification of S-Amlodipine in plasma with a method that do not make any difference between R and S enantiomeres present in analitical reference standard?

There are none. In our case the enantiomeric ratio of the 'racemate' was in fact not 1:1 (checked by MS-MS response and circulardichroism after heart-cut of the eluted peaks). Do you have the study samples already in the fridge without a validated method method? If yes (bad) I would immediately order the certified l-enantiomer. Validate the method with the racemate but state in the protocol that you will correct all concentrations once you have the l-enantiomer. Analyze the study samples with the racemate standards / QCs. This is a last resort - better than to wait for the enantiomer standard and risk that the samples degrade in the meantime. Avoid it in the future.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
Mauricio Sampaio
★    

Brazil,
2016-06-09 23:48
(2867 d 15:48 ago)

@ Helmut
Posting: # 16422
Views: 7,315

Hi Helmut and all members who contributed.

❝ I incorrectly assumed that you have a chiral method. Sorry.

No problem my friend!

❝ Validate the method with the racemate but state in the protocol that you will correct all concentrations once you have the l-enantiomer. Analyze the study samples with the racemate standards / QCs. This is a last resort - better than to wait for the enantiomer standard and risk that the samples degrade in the meantime. Avoid it in the future.

There is still time!!!:-D

Thank you so much! Now I understood that calibrators prepared and quality control samples concentration will not be accurate. Because weighing of standard is a racemate! So, concentration of unknown samples will be inaccurate. ;-)

S-Amlodipine, let's go!:cool:
martin
★★  

Austria,
2016-06-09 17:22
(2867 d 22:14 ago)

@ Mauricio Sampaio
Posting: # 16420
Views: 7,297

Dear all,

Please note that there is hardly no way to show or proof linear PK in clinical studies.

You usually assess dose-proportionality which is a consequence of linear PK (i.e. linear PK implies dose-proportionality but not necessarily vice versa).

best regards & hope this helps

Martin
Mauricio Sampaio
★    

Brazil,
2016-06-10 00:03
(2867 d 15:33 ago)

@ martin
Posting: # 16423
Views: 7,332

Dear Martin

❝ Please note that there is hardly no way to show or proof linear PK in clinical studies.

You told.."In clinical studies!" Question: is there any other way to proof linear PK or your text mean...PK linear is a theoric concept? like linear coefficient (r2) = 0,9999999

❝ You usually assess dose-proportionality which is a consequence of linear PK (i.e. linear PK implies dose-proportionality but not necessarily vice versa).

How many is accepted dose-proportional? 5%, 10%, 15% between diferent strengths?
martin
★★  

Austria,
2016-06-12 23:48
(2864 d 15:48 ago)

@ Mauricio Sampaio
Posting: # 16428
Views: 7,399

Dear Maurico,

Here is some more background regarding linear PK you may find useful:

Linear kinetics: All transport processes follow a first order kinetic
Transport processes: absorption, distribution and/or elimination
First order kinetic: The concentration is changed at a rate proportional to the concentration

Non-linear kinetic: One or more transport process(es) follow other than first order kinetic, for example:
Zero order kinetic: The concentration is changed at a constant rate
Michaelis-Menten kinetic: The change of concentration over time is a function of the drug concentration (capacity limited processes)

On assumption of linear kinetics
PK parameters AUC and Cmax increase proportional with dose
PK parameters tmax , t1/2, CLs, Vss, MRT and F are independent of dose

Dose-proportionality studies allows assessing dose-related changes in exposure but not necessarily time related changes (e.g. auto induction of metabolizing enzymes, inhibitor formation, etc).

Regarding acceptance criteria you may find the following paper of interest:
Smith BP, Vandenhende FR, DeSante KA, Farid NA, Welsch PA, Callaghan JT and Forgue ST (2000). Confidence interval criteria for assessment of dose proportionality. Pharmaceutical Research, 17(10):1278-1283.

hope this helps & best regards

martin
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,984 posts in 4,822 threads, 1,651 registered users;
51 visitors (0 registered, 51 guests [including 6 identified bots]).
Forum time: 15:37 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

You can’t fix by analysis
what you bungled by design.    Richard J. Light, Judith D. Singer, John B. Willett

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5