mathews
●    

2008-01-31 11:59
(5929 d 02:31 ago)

Posting: # 1568
Views: 6,643

Unequal sequences [Software]

Hi All,

Please clariffy my doubt regarding the analysis of a BE study with unequal sequences. For a 2 x 2 BE study of total 24 subjects with two sequences AB and BA.i.e, 12 subjects with sequence AB and 12 with sequence BA. But in the end of the study one subject in the sequence AB is dropped out.So 11 subjects with seq AB and 12 subjects with seq BA.

Is there any problem if I analyse this unbalanced data using a usual GLM procedure in SAS.? or go for a MIXED procedure in SAS?.

Any diffence in the output?

Regards

Matz
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2008-01-31 13:40
(5929 d 00:49 ago)

@ mathews
Posting: # 1569
Views: 5,798

Unequal sequences

Dear Matz!

❝ For a 2 x 2 BE study of total 24 subjects with two sequences AB and BA. […] one subject in the sequence AB is dropped out. So 11 subjects with seq AB and 12 subjects with seq BA.

❝ Is there any problem if I analyse this unbalanced data using a usual GLM procedure in SAS.?

No.

❝ or go for a MIXED procedure in SAS?.

Why? PROC MIXED makes only sense for designs with >2 periods (Williams’ designs, replicate designs).

❝ Any difference in the output?

Generally no; but for a 2×2 design I would stick to PROC GLM, because PROC MIXED is an iterative procedure (i.e., very small differences may exist).
A final remark: the more unbalanced any study gets, the more biased the PE (point estimate) based on the geometric mean ratio gets (the confidence interval remains unaffected). I would recommend using the MVUE (Minimum-variance unbiased estimator) instead - for SAS-code see:

S-C Chow and J-p Liu
Design and Analysis of Bioavailability and Bioequivalence Studies
Marcel Dekker, New York (2nd ed. 2000)

The PE is of importance in sample size planning for follow-up studies - the BE assessment is based on the CI only.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
mathews
●    

2008-01-31 13:57
(5929 d 00:33 ago)

@ Helmut
Posting: # 1570
Views: 5,279

Unequal sequences

Dear HS,

Thanks for your reply. :-)

In the sample size calculation for the follow up studies the PE is used as delta value? Is it right?

Regards

Matz
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2008-01-31 14:08
(5929 d 00:22 ago)

@ mathews
Posting: # 1571
Views: 5,363

Unequal sequences

Dear Matz,

❝ In the sample size calculation for the follow up studies the PE is used as delta value? Is it right?

Yes, but most software use the PE directly (not the delta: delta=1-PE for PE<1 and delta=PE-1 for PE>1).

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,993 posts in 4,828 threads, 1,653 registered users;
110 visitors (0 registered, 110 guests [including 4 identified bots]).
Forum time: 15:30 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

Never never never never use Excel.
Not even for calculation of arithmetic means.    Martin Wolfsegger

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5