NJ,
2013-08-19 22:40
(3895 d 09:08 ago)

Posting: # 11308
Views: 7,589

I thought I have seen everything [Study As­sess­ment]

Hi all,

Apparently not...

Question. If a study requires partial AUC at early phase of the plasma concentration-time curve, is it acceptable to implement in the protocol "Subject will be removed from the study if more than x blood draws cannot be collected within x min of schedule time during post-dose 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, 4 hours?"

Given the fact that the variability of PAUC can be high, can the above be implemented at all? I know it probably doesn't happen but...
Obvious with the above example, the subject will be dropped out if he/she misses the 4 hr sample since PAUC0-4 requires 4 hour timepoint.

My answer to my questio? "As long as you state it in the protocol" Why I asked? Tada, some CRO managed to screw up some early timepoint collection by as much as 35mins! :no:

Thanks

John

Edit: Category changed. [Helmut]
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2013-08-20 17:43
(3894 d 14:05 ago)

@ jag009
Posting: # 11322
Views: 6,179

I thought I have seen everything

Hi John,

❝ Apparently not...

Otherwise it would be boring, isn’t it?

❝ Question. If a study requires partial AUC at early phase of the plasma concentration-time curve, is it acceptable to implement in the protocol "Subject will be removed from the study if more than x blood draws cannot be collected within x min of schedule time during post-dose 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, 4 hours?"

Maybe; actually no qualified opinion. ;-)

❝ Given the fact that the variability of PAUC can be high, can the above be implemented at all?

Again – maybe. You will loose power what you terribly need for this metric…

❝ Obvious with the above example, the subject will be dropped out if he/she misses the 4 hr sample since PAUC0-4 requires 4 hour timepoint.

❝ […] Tada, some CRO managed to screw up some early timepoint collection by as much as 35mins!

That’s a fucking lot! What happened? Normaly time deviations outside an “allowance window” stated in the protocol must be not only documented as such but also a comment in the CRF should be given justifiying the event. 35min?!

BTW, if you ask Phoenix/WinNonlin for partial AUCs (and sampling wasn’t performed exactly at the cut-off time point) an interpolation between two adjacent time points (before/after) is used; linear if C2 ≥ C1 and log/linear if C2 < C1. Makes sense, IMHO.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
jag009
★★★

NJ,
2013-08-20 20:09
(3894 d 11:38 ago)

@ Helmut
Posting: # 11323
Views: 5,987

I thought I have seen everything

Hi Helmut!

❝ ❝ […] Tada, some CRO managed to screw up some early timepoint collection by as much as 35mins!

❝ That’s a fucking lot! What happened? Normaly time deviations outside an “allowance window” stated in the protocol must be not only documented as such but also a comment in the CRF should be given justifiying the event. 35min?!

4 out of 30 subjects had this fiasco. Get this one --> Sampling time at 3.5 and 4.0 hour... They were late 35 mins for the 3.5 (meaning it crossed over into the 4 hr timepoint). They then draw a 4 hr timepint sample with a delay of 11 mins (It's obvious why, they didn't want to miss collecting a sample!!!)So now I have a 3.5hr sample with a +35min deviation and a 4 hr with a +11min deviation!!! what should I use for PAUC0-4??????

Reason for deviation? Couldn't get blood from sites of puncture! 35mins!???? how many time did they poke on the subjects arm(s)!!!!!
I wouldn't have gone ballistic if the reason was "Subject went into hiding somewhere in the dosing area"
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2013-08-20 20:16
(3894 d 11:31 ago)

@ jag009
Posting: # 11325
Views: 6,013

Gimme some data!

Hi John!

❝ 4 out of 30 subjects had this fiasco.

Very strange, indeed!

❝ So now I have a 3.5hr sample with a +35min deviation and a 4 hr with a +11min deviation!!! what should I use for PAUC0-4??????

If you want you can post the time course of this subject (scheduled & actual times, concentrations). Let’s see.

❝ Reason for deviation? Couldn't get blood from sites of puncture! 35mins!???? how many time did they poke on the subjects arm(s)!!!!!

Do you believe in this “reason”?

❝ I wouldn't have gone ballistic if the reason was "Subject went into hiding somewhere in the dosing area"

:-D

Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
jag009
★★★

NJ,
2013-08-20 20:19
(3894 d 11:28 ago)

@ Helmut
Posting: # 11326
Views: 5,985

Gimme some data!

Hi Helmut,

❝ If you want you can post the time course of this subject (scheduled & actual times, concentrations). Let’s see.

Study is in progress with period 1 completed... Will update.

❝ ❝ Reason for deviation? Couldn't get blood from sites of puncture! 35mins!???? how many time did they poke on the subjects arm(s)!!!!!

❝ Do you believe in this “reason”?

What can I do?

❝ ❝ I wouldn't have gone ballistic if the reason was "Subject went into hiding somewhere in the dosing area"

Playing hide and seek with the person holding needle...

John
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2013-08-20 20:34
(3894 d 11:14 ago)

@ jag009
Posting: # 11327
Views: 6,043

Gimme some data!

Hi John,

❝ ❝ ❝ Reason for deviation? Couldn't get blood from sites of puncture! 35mins!???? how many time did they poke on the subjects arm(s)!!!!!

❝ ❝ Do you believe in this “reason”?

❝ What can I do?

Likely nothing. If you audit the site now, which answer do you expect? Even if they come up with something (relying on their memory “Oops, I remember it was just five minutes late, not 35. Sorry!”) – will it be more credible than was written (GCP…) in the CRF? Fishy.
Whenever possible monitor at least the first period of all studies.

Helmut Schütz
[image]

Science Quotes
jag009
★★★

NJ,
2013-08-20 21:54
(3894 d 09:53 ago)

@ Helmut
Posting: # 11330
Views: 5,924

Gimme some data!

Hi Helmut,

❝ Likely nothing. If you audit the site now, which answer do you expect? Even if they come up with something (relying on their memory “Oops, I remember it was just five minutes late, not 35. Sorry!”) – will it be more credible than was written (GCP…) in the CRF? Fishy.

❝ Whenever possible monitor at least the first period of all studies.

The joke of the day... My monitor was there but left after 3 hours because she was satisfied with the performance observed during her stay (-1 day upto 3 hour post-dose draw). :no:
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,987 posts in 4,824 threads, 1,664 registered users;
91 visitors (0 registered, 91 guests [including 5 identified bots]).
Forum time: 07:48 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity
is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.    Voltaire

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5