Precision of CVwr in replicate designs [General Sta­tis­tics]

posted by d_labes  – Berlin, Germany, 2012-10-17 12:40 (4207 d 02:34 ago) – Posting: # 9427
Views: 6,988

Dear Helmut,

❝ I’m wondering what we can say about the precision of estimated CVWR in different replicate designs. [...] Let’s look from how many subjects the value is estimated:

TRTR|RTRT:   20 (100%)

TRR|RTR|RRT: 30 (100%)

TRT|RTR:     15 (50%)

❝ Heretic question: From TRT|RTR the estimate will be less precise (only half of the subjects used) ...

The 50% is only valid if you talk EMA :-D.
Otherwise all the data are used for the fit of a (mixed) model.

Why not use the confidence intervals of the covariance parameter estimates from the fit of a mixed model as precision? Ok, this leaves out the partial replicate design because we are not aware if the σ2WR is valid from fitting the mixed model, at least in the form of FDA code.

At least we can think in terms of intra-subject contrasts to estimate σ2WR via an ANOVA with sequence group as the solely effect (as implemented in the FDA progesterone guidance in the framework of scaled ABE). The df for this analysis are n-seq where n is the number of intra-subject contrasts evaluable (=subject/2 in case of design TRT|RTR i.e. the 50% above are again correct).

Thus take formulas given by your own in the early days of this forum :cool: for obtaining a confidence interval for σ2WR and then transformed to CV to obtain a measure of the precision of estimated CVWR.

Lets go with the numbers of subjects given by you and assume that the estimated CV is obtained always as 20% (statistically only with vanishing probability :-D):
# R function upper confidence limit of CV - as one liner
CVUCL <- function(alpha=0.05, CV, df){
  sqrt(exp(log(1.0 + CV^2)*df/qchisq(alpha,df))-1)
}

gives
design         n   df  upper CL
TRTR|RTRT     20   18   27.94%
TRR|RTR|RRT   30   27   26.03%
TRT|RTR       15   13   30.07%

BTW: May it be that there is an error in this post in calculating SS-intra from MS-intra? The final result is again correct :cool:. That remains me on my old school days: Bad school grade (5) if final result correct but intermediate steps with errors :-D.

Regards,

Detlew

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,993 posts in 4,828 threads, 1,658 registered users;
58 visitors (0 registered, 58 guests [including 3 identified bots]).
Forum time: 15:15 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

So far as I can remember,
there is not one word in the Gospels
in praise of intelligence.    Bertrand Russell

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5