Statistically significant ≠ clinically relevant! [General Sta­tis­tics]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2012-07-28 18:23 (4288 d 07:27 ago) – Posting: # 8989
Views: 5,455

Dear Hiren!

❝ But I am not geting how can we claim two formulation bioequivalent if there is significant formulation effect????

Statistically significant does not imply clinically relevant. In BE any [≥-20.00% & ≤+25.00%] difference (log-scale ±0.2231) generally* is considered irrelevant.

❝ Just on the basis that the variability of such difference will be less (narrow CI) how can we claim BE???

[image]Since the CI is within the acceptance range. BE is de­fined as ARlo ≤CLlo and CLhi ≤ARhi; nothing else. If we in­crease the sample size (keep­ing the CV constant) sooner or later any (!) formulation will show a statistically significant difference – if the PE ≠ 100%. Have a look at this slide: The minimum sample size according to many guidelines is 12. With T/R 0.95 and a CV of 15% we expect already a power of 83% (the CI will be 85.07 – 106.09%). With 48 sub­jects the upper CL drops below 100% and we will get a statistical significant difference (CI 90.27 – 99.98%).

Or, if we keep the sample size at 12 and our CV is even lower, the power will increase – and there­fore, also the chance to get a significant difference (exemplified by the light blue curve in the linked presentation). With a CV% of 10% power will be 98.8% and with 5% 99.99999995%. :-D

May I ask you for the sample size in your study?

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,993 posts in 4,828 threads, 1,656 registered users;
85 visitors (0 registered, 85 guests [including 3 identified bots]).
Forum time: 01:50 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

So far as I can remember,
there is not one word in the Gospels
in praise of intelligence.    Bertrand Russell

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5