Empiric distributions [PK / PD]

posted by ElMaestro  – Denmark, 2012-03-22 19:16 (4411 d 19:04 ago) – Posting: # 8318
Views: 7,328

Hi HS,

this thread gave me an idea (sorry for going a bit off topic now):
The whole general use of log transformation is quite unjustified from a biological perspective, but has a lot of appeal from a mathematical perspective in that it rectifies an assumption that must hold for normal dists and which can strictly be said to be violated with untransformed values. But other empirical transformations might have appeal as well.

Someone should therefore make an Al Gore Rhythm which could find the 'best' transformation among a set of possible transformations (this would by nature have to be a limited number of known transformations) on a limited number of datasets and see if there's anything useful, like consensus, coming out for whichever parameters are of interest.

Of course, there's trouble ahead: It might not be easy to define an objective function that gives a clearcut winner. I am myself in uncharted territory here but I would perhaps naïvely start with something like the Shapiro-Wilks statistic or a regression goodness-of-fit statistic from the QQ plot, and then make sure not to compare it between datasets but only within.

Just another useless idea from ElMaestro... I should perhaps just stick to poetry?!?

Pass or fail!
ElMaestro

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,988 posts in 4,825 threads, 1,654 registered users;
98 visitors (0 registered, 98 guests [including 3 identified bots]).
Forum time: 15:20 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The whole purpose of education is
to turn mirrors into windows.    Sydney J. Harris

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5