Transform or not transform [PK / PD]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2012-03-22 14:27 (4411 d 18:21 ago) – Posting: # 8316
Views: 7,477

Dear Detlew!

❝ Your pictures are a good example of the inherent difficulties in determining the distribution form empirical.

I would rather say: Impossibility in any given study due to limited sample size, but good chances if a wealth of historical data is available.

❝ Thus I'm a fan of the arguments for the log-normal distribution via theoretical PK considerations.

Absolutely. I have no problems with AUC (and Cmax as well) but fail to derive a reasonable justification for others. Walnut brain. At the first Bio-International there was this poll amongst participants about transformations. Result was ⅓ always, ⅓ never, ⅓ case-by-case. My idea was to study the empirical distributions of less common metrics to derive a suggestion (of course applicable only to a specific drug/formulation).

❝ ❝ I used to analyze HVD, t75%, and MRT untransformed and Cmax/AUC logtransformed ...

❝ IMHO this is a good choice :cool:.

OK, but how did you conclude that?

❝ Although the residuals (and these count at least I think) don't show a very distinct picture.

Yes, the sample size I assessed is yet inconclusive. See here for the final outcome.

❝ BTW: Since these metrics (the ones you have shown) are usually not primaries then the question of their (their residuals) distribution is not so much of concern I think. I would handle them only in a descriptive way (mean, sd, median and ... and ...). Or do you analyze those metrics also via ANOVA and (1-2*alpha) CI's in a standard fashion?

These data come from MR products. I calculated the CIs – but only descriptively.

❝ My originally question was more in the direction of swing metrics. Do you have similar data for PTF or swing? As for ratios of two terms deemed as log-normally distributed I at least questioning a log-normal distribution. On the other hand one may argue with your results for Cmax/AUC ...

Well, that’s the reason I started a new thread. I never calculated Swing. Though I have a lot of MD studies the pooled sample size / drug is too small to assess the empiric distributions. I would expect PTF to have a similar distribution as Cmax/AUC (at least if Cmin ⇒ LLOQ).

Normality is a myth; there never was, and never will be, a normal distribution.

Nice quote. :-D

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,988 posts in 4,825 threads, 1,655 registered users;
105 visitors (0 registered, 105 guests [including 3 identified bots]).
Forum time: 09:48 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The whole purpose of education is
to turn mirrors into windows.    Sydney J. Harris

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5