Profiles with no measurable concentrations [Outliers]

posted by ElMaestro  – Denmark, 2011-10-06 19:45 (4578 d 20:51 ago) – Posting: # 7437
Views: 7,818

Dear all,

I have a lot of sympathy for Dr_Dan's post here:
Do we really want to try to conclude a lot about product performances when this happens? Or should we rather stop for a second and start thinking and focus on trial performance instead?

If a subject's PK is just a row of BLQ's then something very basic, whatever it is, went badly wrong (yeah right, he/she could be a supergiga-metaboliser. Not). For me personally, I would not think primarily of product failure (as in a tablet with zero API) - I think other reasons come more realistically to mind, but that's just me and it is said with reference to the rather strict GMP and release criteria in EU.

I know I am going to extremes here but considering eg. ICH E6 2.2 ('Before a trial is initiated, foreseeable risks and inconveniences should be weighed against the anticipated benefit for the individual trial subject and society. A trial should be initiated and continued only if the anticipated benefits justify the risks.') or 2.5 ('Clinical trials should be scientifically sound, and described in a clear, detailed protocol.'), if a trial has a subset subjects having just BLQ's would lead me to think the following:
  1. The trial's outcome itself might be dubious, regardless of product performance.
  2. I want to know why it happened.
  3. I want to know how to prevent it from happening again cf. the quotes above, otherwise there may be a potential element of futility in future trials, and regulators -notably FDA imho- can have a very big problem with that.
I do acknowledge that a reason for mishaps cannot always be identified. But there is no excuse for not trying very very hard, mefinks.

Pass or fail!
ElMaestro

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,987 posts in 4,824 threads, 1,665 registered users;
96 visitors (0 registered, 96 guests [including 4 identified bots]).
Forum time: 16:37 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity
is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.    Voltaire

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5