Outliers - yes, but how? [BE/BA News]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2011-03-24 16:09 (4753 d 01:34 ago) – Posting: # 6806
Views: 34,245

Dear D. Labes!

❝ This quote, or is it your own poetry, …

I borrowed it from a personal discussion page at Wikipedia.

❝ … is really google resistant. First time that I noticed the Net is not omniscient!

Well, personal discussion pages of WP are blocked from being indexed by [image]. I have blocked some pages (i.e., the download section and the latest posts) from [image] as well. Requires two lines in the domain’s robots.txt
User-agent: *
Disallow: /foo/

… and adding rel="nofollow" to respective links within other pages (the same is done here; look at the HTML code).

❝ ❝ … Did you have a look at box plots and/or QQ-plots of residuals? What about subjects 45 and 52 (studentized residuals outside ±1.96 and outside 3×IQR)?

❝ Which residuals did you analyse? Which model? Please enlighten me.

I used EMA’s crippled model (test removed), Sequence+Subject(Sequence)+Period and threw away one period’s residuals (same values, but different in signs to the respective other one).

❝ What do you think: which type of boxplot should we apply? Best for our sponsors would be a simple boxplot with whiskers up to minimum/maximum not showing any 'outlier' :-D.

:rotfl:

I have chosen ±3×IQR following the convention (!) that values within 1.5-3×IQR are ‘mild’ outliers and outside 3×IQR are ‘severe’ outliers. I’m exploring full replicate data-sets right now – outliers almost in all of them. Don’t know whether residuals make any sense at all (see also this post: period ratios instead?). I would end up with different numbers of outliers, depending on the method of calculation of the IQR (see R-manual). Period ratios (second / first administration):
Type 3: SAS according to R-doc - 2 outliers (#46: 3.524, #45: 26.08)
Type 5: or is this SAS? - 2 outliers
Type 6: Minitab, SPSS, Phoenix/WinNonlin - 2 outliers
Type 7: default in S, R - 3 outliers (as above + #13: 3.349)

CVWR    Scaled  AR      width
Full data set:                 47.0  71.23 - 140.40    69.17
#45, #52 excluded (residuals): 32.2  78.79 - 126.93    48.14
#45, #46 excluded (ratios):    35.3  77.08 - 129.73    52.65

Don’t know what to do. :confused: Suggestions?
Maybe Q&A is an abbreviation for Questions and Ambiguities.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,638 registered users;
75 visitors (0 registered, 75 guests [including 6 identified bots]).
Forum time: 17:44 CET (Europe/Vienna)

Nothing shows a lack of mathematical education more
than an overly precise calculation.    Carl Friedrich Gauß

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5