R packages [Nonparametrics]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2010-09-20 16:20 (4938 d 10:19 ago) – Posting: # 5925
Views: 19,715

Hi Jack!

❝ The coin packages uses the midpoint of the confidence interval as the point estimate for the location difference (ie (0.5-1.5)/2=-0.5 while the exactRankTests packages uses (sort of) the median of the observed differences as the point estimate. Note that the exact procedure of exactRankTests is quite situational which is why the difference in point estimates only occurs sometimes.

Interesting!

❝ The real issue from my point of view is that it is hard (impossible?) to decide which is the "correct" estimate. Intuition tells me that the exactRankTest version is the one that is closer to the spirit of the Wilcoxon test while practicality certainly speaks for the midpoint of the CI to be used.

Hhm; in those ol' days I plotted the sampling distribution – and it can be quite asymetrical. I'm not so sure whether the midpoint of the CI makes sense if the location shift is concerned.

❝ As for the differences in confidence intervals I presume that it has to do with either the approximation which is uses if n>50 and/or the continuity correction.

I'm wondering whether there's a cut-off implemented in both packages switching from the exact method (based on permutation) to an approximation due to performance reasons? I know that it's possible to dump the code from the library, but my knowledge of R is too limited (even to use the right keywords for a search).

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,636 registered users;
74 visitors (0 registered, 74 guests [including 9 identified bots]).
Forum time: 01:39 CET (Europe/Vienna)

With four parameters I can fit an elephant,
and with five I can make him wiggle his trunk.    John von Neumann

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5