Philostics [Surveys]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2009-12-27 16:07 (5205 d 17:59 ago) – Posting: # 4526
Views: 12,200

Dear ElMaestro,

I agree with:

❝ Hmmmm

And also with:

❝ Cmax etc varies from 0 and upwards …

… in ‘reality’ – since there is nothing like a negative concentration. But based on normal theory (parameters: mean, variance), we must accept the (small) probability of values <0 in the population. Example: two samples (1, 3), mean 2, variance 2, probability of a value of C≤0 in the population = 0.23%. If we log-transfom, the probability of a negative value is infinitesimaly small (nitpicking: it’s not defined, because log(0)=?, but if x→-∞, ℯx→0).

❝ Let's for simplicity consider the subject with the highest Cmax in the dataset (log or not is not the important issue here). Now we do a parametric analysis of (log) Cmin and we consider the (log) Cmin residual e for the same subject and we disregard other factors for now (makes no difference but makes it less easy to grasp). We know something about e; the (log) Cmax is higher than average (log) Cmin so average (log) Cmin plus e will be lower than (log) Cmax for that subject.

Can you reword your simple statement for my even more simple mind? I did not get your point. From a PK point of view we are sure that Cmax>Cmin (by definition), but from a statistical POV I don’t see why this a priori knowledge should influence the distributional assumptions of either metric. If we build a statistical model for a metric we base it on distributional assumptions for that particular metric – and don't peek across the fence for another metric; e.g. we rely on a discrete distribution of tmax, not caring about the continous one of Cmax.

❝ […] I meant nonparametric. Sorry about the meaning-disturbing typo.

Nonparametrics never disturb me. ;-)

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,636 registered users;
114 visitors (0 registered, 114 guests [including 10 identified bots]).
Forum time: 10:06 CET (Europe/Vienna)

With four parameters I can fit an elephant,
and with five I can make him wiggle his trunk.    John von Neumann

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5