Software validation [🇷 for BE/BA]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2009-09-28 17:21 (5316 d 13:07 ago) – Posting: # 4260
Views: 39,890

Hi ElMaestro!

❝ Try to put yourself in the shoes of the software writer.

Oh, I took these boots on many years ago. And they got muddy almost immediatelly. I tried to get a numerical approximation of the cdf of the t-distribution which lead me to the gamma-function and headaches. Finally I ended up with numerical approximations.[1,2]

❝ […] whatever the algo does it is not exact. It is approximate, but how good that approximation actually is is unknown.

Sure.

❝ […] we have absolutely no way of telling which one is the right one until some clever guy works out the integrals exactly.

Definitely not me. I’m getting more stupid every day.

❝ I'll buy you a Mozartkugel if you do it.

THX, no needs.

❝ Decompile your recent acquisition and check if they one way or another use the ASA243.

I guess the SW was built using the Borland C++ compiler. You know that reverse engineering of software is a breach of the license? :-D
BTW, according to the manual the ‘Illinois method’ (Algorithm AS 184, FORTRAN source) is used. I assume AS 243[3] is ‘better’ than AS 184.[4] But to which extent? Is it my job to go through pros and cons of algorithms?

❝ If they do, why validate?

First, different algos are used. Second, I have to validate software - or not?
At the product's site I found a nice statement:

These sets of solutions were reviewed by Janet Elashoff, who checked for consistency, face validity, and for computational accuracy against other sources.

Face validity?

What I actually wanted to do was to check my R code (which is also part of bear) with a piece of SW of high reputation. Checking the sample size I wasn’t satisfied (only integers), therefore I opted to do it the other way 'round (power). It made me angry that there is no (easy) way to obtain more than 4 significant digits. By this external validation is effectively prevented.
Another example from the dirt track of SW validation: Diletti et al.[5] published exact samples size tables for BE ranges of 0.9-11 and 0.7–1.43. When trying to validate my code against these tables I found small discrepancies (only at low CVs and close to the acceptance range). By trial-and-error I got the solution: I could reproduce tables only if setting the upper acceptance limit not to the reciprocal of the lower AL (0.9-1, 0.7-1) but to exactly 1.1111 or 1.4286…
BTW, nitpicking Diletti’s Table 1[6] (power 70%, T/R=1, CV=7.5%) and nQuery 7 give n=4, whilst my R code, StudySize 2.0.1, and FARTSSIE 1.6 come up with n=6. Now what? Go with a democratic vote of 3:2 for 6?

1. Gardiner DA and BF Bombay
    An Approximation to Student's t
    Technometrics 7(4), 71–2 (1965)
  2. Abramowitz M and IA Stegun
    Handbook of mathematical functions
    National Bureau of Standards, Applied Mathematics Series – 55, Washington, D.C., pp 948–9 (10th Printing with corrections 1972)
    online resource
  3. RV Lenth
    Statistical Algorithms. Algorithm AS 243: Cumulative Distribution Function of the Non-Central t Distribution
    Applied Statistics 38(1), 185–9 (1989)
  4. Bohrer R, Schervish M, and J Sheft
    Statistical Algorithms. Algorithm AS 184: Non-Central Studentized Maximum and Related Multiple-t Probabilities
    Applied Statistics 31(1), 309–17 (1982)
  5. Diletti E, Hauschke D, and VW Steinijans
    Sample size determination: Extended tables for the multiplicative model and bioequivalence ranges of 0.9 to 1.11 and 0.7 to 1.43
    Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther Toxicol 30/Suppl.1, S59-62 (1992)
  6. Diletti E, Hauschke D, and VW Steinijans
    Sample size determination for bioequivalence assessment by means of confidence intervals
    Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther Toxicol 29(1), 1-8 (1991)

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,987 posts in 4,824 threads, 1,666 registered users;
73 visitors (0 registered, 73 guests [including 6 identified bots]).
Forum time: 06:29 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity
is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.    Voltaire

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5