Bogus? What? [Software]

posted by d_labes  – Berlin, Germany, 2009-05-27 10:57 (5420 d 00:13 ago) – Posting: # 3773
Views: 19,653

Dear ElMaestro,

❝ The standard 2,2,2-BE model can be fit with a linear model or a mixed model (equivalently glm, lm, lme etc in R) and you can obtain the same results.

❝ When one uses the RANDOM statement in connection with PROC GLM, it means.......very little of relevance to the 2,2,2-B situation, as I see it.

❝ It can be omitted and we're still happy.

Out of a walnut shell :-D you are right.

As long as you don't talk about a test of sequence effects.
The RANDOM statement produces the correct test automatically.
See above in this thread to notice that this is of relevance for a number of users (also with other software :-P ), which are not so happy as you.

And as long as you don't talk about the educational benefit of specifying which of your effects you consider fixed or random, which opens you the way to mixed models software necessary for the evaluation of more complicated study designs.

I must confess that I never understand this SASophylistic "... post hoc fashion ...".
But what is actually done in Proc GLM is nowadays known as "method of moments" in the mixed model context.

BTW: Could you explain your "Linear model on Steroids" a bit more in detail? I couldn't get the the joke.

Regards,

Detlew

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,636 registered users;
110 visitors (0 registered, 110 guests [including 10 identified bots]).
Forum time: 10:10 CET (Europe/Vienna)

With four parameters I can fit an elephant,
and with five I can make him wiggle his trunk.    John von Neumann

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5