Moses CI [Nonparametrics]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2009-01-26 20:43 (5559 d 00:05 ago) – Posting: # 3128
Views: 14,314

Dear Andrew,

the Hodges-Lehmann estimator is just the median of the Walsh averages.1 But obviously you are able to calculate the cumulative distribution function – I guess you are more interested in obtaining the confidence interval (according to Moses)? I used an old reference* (in FORTRAN) to calculate the critical values (α 0.05) for up to 64 subjects (m=n=32) and the exact error probabilities as well.
I uploaded two files (in CSV-format, variable separator semicolon, decimal separator period):
  1. Critical values
  2. Error probabilies
    I take no responsibilities about correctness whatsover!
I would suggest looking for suitable software (Cytel’s StatXact, SAS PROC StatXact,…), or go with the normal approximation – at least to check the outcome.

For your example (m=26, n=26) the lower critical value according to the first table is 248 and upper one is calculated according to m × n - 248 + 1 with 429.
The normal approximation is calculated according to
m × n/2 – Z0.05 × √m × n × (m+n+1)/12 (rounded to the next lower integer) with 248.
The normal approximation is always conservative (α ≤0.05); 57.3% of the 900 critical values match the exact ones, the remaining 42.7% would calculate one rank lower than the exact one (hence the CI will be wider). Although some textbooks state that the approximation should be used only if m≥8, n≥8 I can’t see any pattern (i.e., an improvement towards the exact value for higher m,n).

According to the second table the exact error probability for m=n=26 is 0.0498 (1 – 2α = 0.9004).

1. Pairwise averages: (Xi+Xj)/2 for all i≤j.
  2. Dinneen LC, Blakesley BC. Algorithm AS 62: A Generator for the Sampling Distribution of the Mann-Whitney U Statistic. Appl Stat. 1973;22:269–73.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,984 posts in 4,822 threads, 1,652 registered users;
52 visitors (0 registered, 52 guests [including 9 identified bots]).
Forum time: 21:49 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

You can’t fix by analysis
what you bungled by design.    Richard J. Light, Judith D. Singer, John B. Willett

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5