N calculation for trial about PK superiority [Power / Sample Size]

posted by alejandro_jo1990 – Spain, 2022-09-01 16:40 (573 d 21:06 ago) – Posting: # 23252
Views: 2,574

Hello to all! first thanks for this wonderful forum, here a young MD, clinical pharmacologist recently moving from clinical trials conduct to design, tryinto apply my (modest) knowledge of clinical PK and biostatistics to phase I trial design. I was discussing with a former colleague. If we were to design a trial to try to support a change in SmPC for a certain product, ie. a faster absorption:

- If we were to demostrate in overall a faster absorption, we would need to design a superiority trial and calculate N based on expected diff in logCmax using logsd (difference or more conservative the higer Cmax maybe?). Suggested log to use a diff in means to calculate N and Cmax as is the parameter to include both extentand and rate of absorption (I deem Tmax as useless).

-If we were to demonstrate a faster absorption at X point (10 minutes), before Tmax, shall I need to use the differences in logAUC with same SD assessment? or concentration at 10 minutes would suffice (or maybe any approach is not correct at all).

I assume I would calculate N based on the difference in means as in any study.

PS. I swear I conducted an intensive research through the forum

BR
Alex

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,639 registered users;
72 visitors (0 registered, 72 guests [including 6 identified bots]).
Forum time: 12:47 CET (Europe/Vienna)

Nothing shows a lack of mathematical education more
than an overly precise calculation.    Carl Friedrich Gauß

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5