AND or OR, that’s the question [Power / Sample Size]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2022-08-10 22:59 (617 d 04:26 ago) – Posting: # 23214
Views: 4,877

Hi Chris,

❝ But this exercise was still helpful since I naively expected the "OR" alternative to result in a smaller sample size compared with the "AND" alternative. I failed to realise that a type I error comes into play for the "OR" alternative, which explains a larger sample size (n=42 vs n=36).

[image]In my workshops I use to give this example:
  1. You toss a single ideal coin once and place a bet on heads (or tails, doesn’t matter). What’s the chance to win? Obviously ½.
  2. You toss it a second time and place the same bet as before. The chance to win this bet is again ½ (coins have a short memory span).
    What is the chance to win at least one of the bets?

❝ Thank you also for modifying the R program. I sincerely appreciate your time and efforts.

Welcome. I would suggest to use the original one because it is more flexible and shows the seed for reproducibility / documentation.

Answers based on the cumulative probability of the binomial distribution (hint: Bernoulli process). In [image]:
  1. pbinom(0, 1, 1/2)
    [1] 0.5

2. pbinom(1, 2, 1/2)
    [1] 0.75
Trivial: The more often you try, the more likely is the chance to win at least one of the bets. Therefore, coming back to BE: In the OR-conjunction you have to adjust the level of the test.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,987 posts in 4,824 threads, 1,667 registered users;
85 visitors (1 registered, 84 guests [including 5 identified bots]).
Forum time: 03:26 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity
is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.    Voltaire

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5