Threshold of % change? [General Sta­tis­tics]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2021-08-05 13:43 (988 d 05:52 ago) – Posting: # 22511
Views: 3,481

Hi Ben,

❝ So you are essentially saying statistical relevance is not the right tool here. Agreed.

I was talking about statistical significance.
When it comes to a test, see the end of Section 1 in this post (EUFEPS workshop, Bonn, June 2013).

❝ Instead of relying on visual inspection & gut feeling (= common sense? :-)) …

Well, we are using visual inspection in other areas as well. Automatic algos for selecting time points in estimating \(\small{\hat\lambda_z}\) (e.g., \(\small{R_{\textrm{adj,max}}^{2}}\), \(\small{AIC_\textrm{min}}\), \(\small{\text{TTT}}\)) quite often fail for ‘flat’ profiles (MR) or multiphasic profiles. I’m fine with selecting time points ‘manually’. Never had any problems with acceptance.

❝ … can we define pharmacological relevance?

That’s actually the idea behind assessing the slope. Either we are still in the saturation phase (slope >0) or reasonably close to true steady state (slope ≈0).

❝ Is there a way to define quantitative thresholds based on the PK (or even PD?) of the compound (i.e. concentration should not change by more than x%)?

Radio Yerevan answers: Based on PK, in principle yes.
But how could we do that? We design the study based on τ and t½. Hopefully we don’t use an average t½ – from the literature – but a worst case (i.e., a longer one).
$$C_\tau$$$$\small{
\begin{array}{crr}
\hline
\text{Dose} & \text{% of steady state} & \text{% Change} \\
\hline
1 & 50.00000 & - \\
2 & 75.00000 & 50.000000 \\
3 & 87.50000 & 16.666667 \\
4 & 93.75000 & 7.142857 \\
5 & 96.87500 & 3.333333 \\
6 & 98.43750 & 1.612903 \\
7 & 99.21875 & 0.793651 \\
\hline
\end{array}}$$Looks nice on paper. However, I see a problem here (maybe I’m wrong). In the regression we assess the last three pre-dose concentrations, which – to some extent – takes the inter-occasion variability into account. Of course, we may fall into the trap mentioned previously.
When we set a threshold of \(\small{x\%}\), we are essentially believing that the last two pre-dose concentrations are the true ones, right? Of course, that’s another trap.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,988 posts in 4,825 threads, 1,661 registered users;
84 visitors (0 registered, 84 guests [including 7 identified bots]).
Forum time: 19:35 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity
is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.    Voltaire

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5