no more required gWidgets.zip & gWidgetsRGtk2.zip to install bear for R v4.0.x [🇷 for BE/BA]

posted by yjlee168 Homepage – Kaohsiung, Taiwan, 2020-09-27 14:29 (1296 d 18:45 ago) – Posting: # 21941
Views: 2,434

(edited by yjlee168 on 2020-09-27 15:16)

Dear all bear users,

To make it quick, please do not request for gWidgets.zip & gWidgetsRGtk2.zip from me any more (see this). I have already received tons of requests since these two packages (gWidgets & gWidgetsRGtk2) have been orphaned/removed/retired/depredicated from R repositories. I know some users were not trying to install bear. They only need to install gWidgets & gWidgetsRGtk2 to run other packages. Google master pointed this Forum to them. Therefore, users can download preinst.r from SourceForge and run it AS the system administrator (for Windows OS & Linux-PC). However (there is always a 'however' or 'but'), it is only for x64 platforms. Sorry for x86 machines (who is still using a x86 machine right now?).

Here is the long story. Since it was reported that gWidgets & gWidgetsRGtk2 has been removed from R repositories (see this, and this and this), the disaster began. I did a little stats. about what R packages was affetced/removed together with gWIdgets & gWidgetsRGtk2. One of packages, RQDA, was also included and users tried seek out the solution for it. I found that the only problem was that only gWidgetsRGtk2 cannot be built from its source tarball on my Windows 10 (x64) only.(three onlys in this sentence.) Both gWidgets & gWidgetsRGtk2 can be built on macOS and Linux-PC from their source. Even gWidgets can be built on Windows 10 (x64). The error messages [in English] of gWidgetsRGtk2 on Windows 10 were
... Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
   unable to load shared object
'C:/.../library/RGtk2/libs/i386/RGtk2.dll':
   LoadLibrary failure:  The specified module could not be found.

That meant R tried to build both x86 and x64 packages at the same time as default, even though for x64 platforms/machine. Please note that the dynamic lib. for i386 (.../library/RGtk2/libs/i386/RGtk2.dll) was there. But R just cannot find it when building the package. Then I googled these error messages and found it has been reported since 2011 by a user. The original error messages reported by that user were:
... Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
unable to load shared object
'R:/Apps/R/R-2.13.0/library/RGtk2/libs/i386/RGtk2.dll':
LoadLibrary failure:  Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden.

About this issue, Professor Ripley said:"...It is Microsoft's error message, not ours." Then I planed to email Mr. Gates. Before doing that, I found a nice post about installation of a R package (tidyselect) on stackoverflow that totally inspired me. Therefore, the solution is as follows:
this<-"https://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/gWidgets/gWidgets_0.0-54.2.tar.gz"
install.packages(this,repos=NULL,INSTALL_opts="--no-multiarch")
and.this<- "https://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/gWidgetsRGtk2/gWidgetsRGtk2_0.0-86.1.tar.gz"
install.packages(and.this,repos=NULL,INSTALL_opts="--no-multiarch")

And it finally works. The key option of --no-multiarch here is used to build x64 package only. All these have been included in preinst.r now. Sorry to keep you waiting for a long,long time. My sincere apology.
[to be continued...]

All the best,
-- Yung-jin Lee
bear v2.9.1:- created by Hsin-ya Lee & Yung-jin Lee
Kaohsiung, Taiwan https://www.pkpd168.com/bear
Download link (updated) -> here

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,984 posts in 4,822 threads, 1,651 registered users;
51 visitors (0 registered, 51 guests [including 3 identified bots]).
Forum time: 09:15 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

You can’t fix by analysis
what you bungled by design.    Richard J. Light, Judith D. Singer, John B. Willett

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5