Partial replicate design: reference(s)? [RSABE / ABEL]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2020-08-13 16:22 (1345 d 07:29 ago) – Posting: # 21868
Views: 6,945

Dear all,

I try to figure out when – and hopefully why – the partial replicate design TRR|RTR|RRT entered the scene.

I must confess that I never heard about it till I was asked at a workshop in Ahmedabad in 2008. I knew only another partial replicate, the so-called extra-reference design TRR|RTR 1 (which should be avoided since it is biased in the presence of period effects).
The first paper 2 of the ‘Two Lászlós’ dealt solely with the two-sequence, three-period full replicate design TRT|RTR. It laid the foundations of reference-scaled ABE.
The FDA’s guidance of 2001 stated in Appendix B.2.:

… the two-sequence, three-period design TRR|RTT is thought
to be optimal among three-period replicated crossover designs.

Fine with me. Same design characteristics, balanced like the TRT|RTR. Not a single word about the partial replicate.

The partial replicate is given in the FDA’s progesterone guidance of April 2010 and by the EMA in Annex I of September 2016 (appeared first in Rev. 3 of the Q&A document in January 2011) though regulatory documents  scientific justification.

If you know any publication (preferrably prior to 2010), please let me know.

1. Chen KW, Chow SC, Li G. A Note on Sample Size Determination for Bioequivalence Studies with Higher-order Crossover Designs. J Pharmacokin Biopharm. 1997;25(6):753–65. doi:10.1023/a:1025738019069.
  2. Endrényi L, Tóthfalusi L. Regulatory Conditions for the Determination of Bioequivalence of Highly Variable Drugs. J. Pharm Pharmaceut Sci. 2009;12(1):138–49. [image] Open access.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,988 posts in 4,825 threads, 1,657 registered users;
95 visitors (0 registered, 95 guests [including 5 identified bots]).
Forum time: 23:52 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity
is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.    Voltaire

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5