Not understood [🇷 for BE/BA]

posted by ElMaestro  – Denmark, 2020-08-05 10:13 (1353 d 14:08 ago) – Posting: # 21824
Views: 14,051

Thanks PharmCat,

funny, I read the ref. you mention (Lindstrom & Bates) yesterday and I did not understand much of it. Will try again.

❝ Problem1: when you have big matrix invercing is slow as hell, but if you inverce by blocks (you can do it because it block-diagonal) it can be done faster.

Sounds neat, will check if I can somehow do such a thing.

❝ Problem2: In BE case you have many equal Zi matrices, so in logREML calculation (if you calc by subject) you inverce one matrix many times (because V = ZGZ'+R, Z can be different, G and R not changing subject by subject). If you cache result - you can seriously increase performance.

My approach is very simple: I make a case for saying that when T is not replicated while R is replicated, then it is not possible to make a meaningful model when V=ZGZt+R (as long as we count on R having the withins and G having the betweens). If we insest on ZGZt+R then we get irrelevant variance components associated with T whichever way we parameterise the covariance matrix. Therefore, I am working in V directly, meaning I am writing the blocks into it directly.
This may still be compatible with your proposal, though.

Pass or fail!
ElMaestro

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,988 posts in 4,825 threads, 1,656 registered users;
98 visitors (0 registered, 98 guests [including 3 identified bots]).
Forum time: 00:21 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity
is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.    Voltaire

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5