Not understood [🇷 for BE/BA]

posted by ElMaestro  – Denmark, 2020-08-04 00:55 (1354 d 18:46 ago) – Posting: # 21821
Views: 14,147

Hi Pharmcat,

❝ Do you calculate REML for all data at once or calculate REML subject by subject?

REML is not generally done on a per-subject basis. Each model is assumed to have an optimal fit, given the data and the variance/covariance structure. The optimal fit, when putatively found, corresponds to the fixed effects and the variance components, and the log likelihood serves as objective function.
I am sure I am missing something clever in your question. Can you describe what you meant?

❝ Is it possible to use function caching in R?

You can always write some public members to that effect where necessary and appropriate. I don't think R has a built-in optimizer which takes care of it as the language is interpreted, but other users of this forum should confirm; I am not expert on the inner workings of R.
I do not see how this would affect the REML process - can you describe with more words what your perspective on caching was, then we'll possibly figure out something?

Pass or fail!
ElMaestro

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,988 posts in 4,825 threads, 1,661 registered users;
92 visitors (1 registered, 91 guests [including 6 identified bots]).
Forum time: 19:42 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity
is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.    Voltaire

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5