Yeah but, no but, yeah but… [General Sta­tis­tics]

posted by ElMaestro  – Denmark, 2020-07-22 19:53 (1366 d 12:11 ago) – Posting: # 21780
Views: 2,946

Hi Hötzi,

❝ I must confess that I don’t have the slightest idea what you have done here. Not surprising. Hazelnut-sized brain < walnut-sized brain. However:

❝ ❝ I was happy to look up how Chow & Liu see it; see e.g. formula 2.5.1 and 9.1.1 in the 3rd edition

❝ $$Y_{ijk}=\mu+S_{ik}+P_j+F_{(j,k)}+{\color{Red}{C_{(j-1,k)}}}+e_{ijk} \tag{2.5.1=9.1.1}$$Did you implement the first-order carryover as well? If yes, try it without. Might explain the differences below.

No no, the carry-over part of it was scrapped years ago. It is of historical interest and of no concern here. I did not model it, as you saw in the code posted last week. I model sequence. Note that the verbal distinction between sequence and carry is of no importance, has no bearing, to my purpose of starting this thread.

❝ ❝ Here's my result with EMA's dataset II, if it is of interest:

❝ ❝  Var.Component  Ini.value      Value

❝ ❝          varWR 0.01240137 0.01211072

❝ OK, you start with the EMA’s approach.

Again, this is not about compliance with a guidance/guideline.
The Value above is the result from the optimizer. The Ini.value is the guess.

library(replicateBE)

❝ CV.wR <- 0.01*method.A(data = rds02, print = FALSE, details = TRUE)[["CVwR(%)"]]

❝ cat("varwR", signif(log(CV.wR^2+1), 7), "\n")

varwR 0.01240137

Anything goes. (© Paul Feyerabend)

I do not know what this is about?

❝ With your previous REML-code I got 0.01324648 and following the FDA’s approach (intra-subject contrasts) I got 0.01298984 (in Phoenix, SAS, and by my [image]-code). Hence, I see two problems:

1. Your result does not match the FDA’s approach. Your previous result is even closer (+2.0%) than the new one (–6.8%).

2. Even if it would match, how would you code the FDA’s mixed model for ABE in [image]?

That’s the most important question.

Again, I am not trying to code anything in relation to a guidance. At least not a current one. For example, I do not know how yet to do Satterthwaite dfs, this isn't a direction I am taking at all. It may be of importance to you, but to me not in any way my purpose of the thread.:-)

In a sense, my post just made clear that:
  1. I don't see the relevance of s2BR, s2BT, s2BTR individually, in a mixed model where we already have treatment as fixed. I would combine them all in one single between-variance estimate, s2B, as I see no particular reason they would be assumed different.
  2. When combining them all in s2B we will get model convergence (V is invertible) which results in a valid and qualified estimate of s2wt, even though T is not replicated (the reason is that R is replicated and we collapse the between variance components to a signle one).

These are two little things that have no particular relevance to current published guidances.
Note that point 1 above is entirely in line with Chow & Liu's model. I have not seen the BE model specified anywhere with more than one between-variance component. Have you? Where?
Why would we fit something with individual between-(co)variances when T and R have fixed levels (apart from the fact that it may be easy to code something along such lines in SAS, WNL, SPSS, and hence it also appears to be a component of guidances)?

So, forget the guidances and look at the horizon. :-)

Is this more easy/intuitive/informative to read:
 Var.Component Ini.guesses   Estimate
         varWT     0.01200 0.01833529
         varWR     0.01230 0.01211073
          varB     0.01234 0.04080585

Pass or fail!
ElMaestro

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,987 posts in 4,824 threads, 1,664 registered users;
84 visitors (0 registered, 84 guests [including 4 identified bots]).
Forum time: 08:04 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity
is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.    Voltaire

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5