desription Suggests section [🇷 for BE/BA]

posted by mittyri – Russia, 2020-07-20 15:27 (1348 d 02:07 ago) – Posting: # 21760
Views: 10,993

Dear Yung-jin,

❝ Exactly. Recently I just wondered: I used to do install.packages("foo") for all dependent or required packages before installing bear. That meant I used install.packages("foo",depend=NA) as default. And it was OK. Now I use install.packages("foo",depend=TRUE) and it is OK too. So I was wondering if we really need to set depend=TRUE. I also found if I set depend=TRUE R will install much more packages in that case. For example, I need to install package A. Package A depends on 3 packages (package B, C and D). Should I also install simultaneously package B, C and D? Furthermore, if package B depends on another 3 packages (package E, F & G), then will the option of depend=TRUE for package A also enable R to install package E, F & G? Therefore, I do not think we need to set depend=TRUE. I think R will check all required packages first for the package that we want to install. Then R will install these required packages first and leave the package that we need to install at last. Am I correct?

the difference between NA and TRUE is that the latter installs the packages from 'Suggests' section. They are not necessary for the essential package functions work (in theory).
You don't need to resolve the tree of dependencies of the packages, R will do that for you and installs all the tree (dependencies=TRUE just installs a little bit more). So just add an 'A' package inside imports section of description.
And yes, you don't need dependenices=TRUE, keep it with default value.

Kind regards,
Mittyri

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,636 registered users;
110 visitors (0 registered, 110 guests [including 5 identified bots]).
Forum time: 16:34 CET (Europe/Vienna)

With four parameters I can fit an elephant,
and with five I can make him wiggle his trunk.    John von Neumann

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5