Desultory thoughts [R for BE/BA]

posted by ElMaestro  – Belgium?, 2020-07-15 23:06 (74 d 13:55 ago) – Posting: # 21705
Views: 8,820

Hi Hötzi,

» » to me it is exactly the opposite way around:
» » A model with more than one variance component is a mixed model.
»
» Not necessarily. It depends on what you believe [sic] is a random effect. Treatment, sequence, and period are fixed effects, right? IMHO, subject is random. When we think about interaction(s) we enter the gray zone, of course.

May I offer the completely opposite view? Search the forum for "bogus statement" :-D, check the SAS documentation for what the statement actually actually does to Proc GLM:
When ProcGLM is used for 222BE with or without the bogus statement it still means a normal linear model is fit (even when the theory in e.g. C&L calls it "random"). There is a single variance component in such fits. If you wish to verify it: There is a model matrix with columns for subjects; check the df's for such models, it would be (much) higher if subjects were fit as random. Conversely, if subject were random subject would not appear as a factor in the anova.

I could be wrong, but...

Best regards,
ElMaestro

R's base package has 274 reserved words and operators, along with 1761 functions. I can use 18 of them (about 14 of them properly). I believe this makes me the Donald Trump of programming.

Complete thread:

Activity
 Admin contact
21,082 posts in 4,397 threads, 1,468 registered users;
online 7 (1 registered, 6 guests [including 4 identified bots]).
Forum time: Monday 13:02 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

A central lesson of science is that to understand complex issues
(or even simple ones), we must try to free our minds of dogma and
to guarantee the freedom to publish, to contradict, and to experiment.
Arguments from authority are unacceptable.    Carl Sagan

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5