Packages retired from CRAN [🇷 for BE/BA]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2020-06-29 19:31 (1368 d 13:43 ago) – Posting: # 21604
Views: 7,879

Hi Yung-jin,

❝ I am totally doomed and the party is over now.

[image] Don’t Give Up

❝ ❝ ... Since the original GUI-packages are retired, …

❝ It's not retired. It was removed from CRAN since the author did not respond,…

That’s the same thing.
Retired = archived = only old sources available on CRAN = bad luck for [image]Users requiring binaries for their OS.

❝ … though it still works well under R v4.0.x.

I believe it. I have no problems with bear 2.8.8 under R4.0.2. However, there are errors in functions (or arguments) you don’t call in you packages.

❝ Hopefully it will come back again soon. It happened before as far as I can remember.

Only if the maintainer would do what the word implies. Fix the error(s) and re-submit. Since in this case the maintainer of gWidgets* and gWidgets*2 is the same person, the last version of the former was of January 2019 and the first one the latter submitted at the same time, chances are close to nil that he will exhume the former and take care about both in parallel.

gWidgets2 is a disaster to me. It's not upgraded version of gWidgets at all. It's like an add-on to gWidgets. I have tried it and the GUI just looked messed up.

My knowledge about GUIs is close to zero. I think you have still some options:
  1. Fix the errors and submit the packages as the new maintainer. Then it would mean back to the stressful life which was a reason why you don’t host your packages at CRAN for years.
  2. As above but host binaries (for Windows and MacOS) and the source (for Linuxes) at your site.
  3. Jump in at the deep end and adapt your code-base to gWidgets*2. Nasty first though not that bad on the long run.

PS: Cheer up! Two stories of this year:

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,636 registered users;
101 visitors (0 registered, 101 guests [including 4 identified bots]).
Forum time: 08:14 CET (Europe/Vienna)

With four parameters I can fit an elephant,
and with five I can make him wiggle his trunk.    John von Neumann

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5