BE XR OD vs IR BID - which Cmax for IR? [Regulatives / Guidelines]

posted by Nathalie T – Belgium, 2020-05-08 18:40 (1442 d 05:58 ago) – Posting: # 21409
Views: 4,376

Dear All,
I would like to have the help of the forum participants on a tricky question, ie which IR Cmax should be considered to assess the potential bioequivalence between an IR formulation administered BID and an XR formulation administered OD on day 1 and at steady-state. This is for a submission to FDA.
I double-checked the “Bioavailability Studies Submitted in NDAs or INDs — General Considerations Guidance for Industry” draft February 2019, and it is written (page 13)

C.1.a. A new ER formulation compared to an IR product that is already approved
For drugs with linear pharmacokinetics over the therapeutic dose range: A fasting study should be conducted comparing the ER product administered as a single dose at the highest strength to the IR reference administered over the least common time interval to achieve equivalent total dose as for the ER product.28 […]

28 For example, when a 150-milligram (mg) ER product administered once daily (QD) is being developed that gives an approved 50-mg IR reference product administered three times a day (TID) or a 75-mg product administered two times a day (BID), a comparison of the 150-mg ER product administered as a single dose could be compared to either the 50-mg IR reference product administered TID or 75-mg IR reference product administered BID.

In this case, the least common time interval is 24 hours.

Based on this, I think that the first day dosing interval should be considered as a whole and that on both day 1 and at SS, the highest Cmax over the least common dosing interval should be taken for the reference, whether it is the first or the second Cmax.
I would be very interested of having others opinion
Best regards
Nathalie T

Edit: Guidance linked. [Helmut]

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,988 posts in 4,825 threads, 1,654 registered users;
103 visitors (0 registered, 103 guests [including 6 identified bots]).
Forum time: 00:39 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity
is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.    Voltaire

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5