Xeon (workstation, server) ↔ Core iX (desktop) [🇷 for BE/BA]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2020-05-02 03:22 (1426 d 08:24 ago) – Posting: # 21385
Views: 19,424

Hi Yung-jin,

❝ ❝ Five years old Xeon @3.4GHz (not overclocked), 16MB, 64bit Win 7.

❝ No way! Xeon CPU?

Yessir!

❝ unless you assemble the motherboard yourself.

Nope. ASUS P9D WS.

[image]

❝ However, I heard Xeon is a great …

Yes.

❝ … and cheaper CPU.

On the contrary and for a reason.

❝ Some people get Xeon from retired server machines. It is not so easy to find the motherboard from the market to fit Xeon right now. So it's a very special PC. Indeed.

It’s a workstation. All Xeons (for servers and workstations) have their desktop counterparts with the same architecture. For my Xeon it’s a Core i3. The main differences are: Generally larger L3-cache, require motherboards with other chip­sets than desktop systems supporting server-grade unbuffered ECC RAM, rated for continuous 100% CPU load.
Since I regularly run simulations 24/7 (for weeks) and a Folding@home-client, the last two points are important for me.
All this stuff is more expensive: Such mainboards are produced in much lower numbers, the EEC RAM is more complex, and last but not least the CPU itself.
Previously I had Dell workstations with double Xeons (i.e., before multi-cores were available) but the howling fans drove me crazy. Now I have a fan­less system (including the graphics card) with monstrous copper-coolers and double heatpipes. Weighs ~20 kg and came for 2,550 € in 2014 (2 × 256GB SSD, 4TB HD, GTX750 Ti, DVD writer, 430W PSU). The silence is deafening. :-D

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,639 registered users;
81 visitors (0 registered, 81 guests [including 9 identified bots]).
Forum time: 10:46 CET (Europe/Vienna)

Nothing shows a lack of mathematical education more
than an overly precise calculation.    Carl Friedrich Gauß

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5