Typography [Software]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2020-03-05 18:41 (1506 d 12:26 ago) – Posting: # 21210
Views: 3,022

Hi Shuanghe,

❝ NIST's Typefaces for Symbols in Scientific Manuscripts.

I see.

❝ […] alignment of the numbers the journal made in those tables. :-D

Yep. Extremely ugly.

❝ Anyway, M$ Word is the only one I can use at work so I'm a bit numb about the format now. I used to be able to spot 2 consecutive space in a document immediately and always had to delete one; …

Welcome to the club. I also like superfluous space before the paragraph mark. IIRC, this was already introduced in Word 6.

❝ … now I accept report with a small table in the middle of page occupying 1/3 page and another 1/3 on top and on bottom page are completely empty, never even mention the orphans and widows on many pages (though I haven't seen the latter much recently, maybe M$ change settings?)...

Duno. In the default setup (for ages) it should be prevented. However, if someone changes that in a particular paragraph, bad luck. Furthermore, the copy-and-paste devil spreads this disease faster than SARS-CoV-2. In my CRO we had templates for everything. Sometimes tables looked weired. Couldn’t figure out why until I saw a colleague pressing the ⇑    while dragging a vertical column limiter with the left mouse key. Great.

❝ […] But even for some of the "supported commands" I cannot use it here. e.g., \LaTeX{} and \TeX{} are supported and they should output their typographic symbols, respectively, according to the previous link, but it seems I cannot get them to work.

Strange enough both are rendered in italics: \(\small{\LaTeX}\) and \(\small{\TeX}\). But \rm\LaTeX works: \(\small{\rm\LaTeX}\)

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,988 posts in 4,825 threads, 1,654 registered users;
82 visitors (0 registered, 82 guests [including 6 identified bots]).
Forum time: 08:08 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The whole purpose of education is
to turn mirrors into windows.    Sydney J. Harris

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5