Subject replacement [Design Issues]

posted by Ohlbe – France, 2020-01-08 10:41 (264 d 12:30 ago) – Posting: # 21068
Views: 1,559

Dear Pharma_88,

» » In the design I have in mind, the group/cohort is completed with 3+3 patients, not just 3. And you enrol new patients in each cohort (if you only use the same patients who have a good tolerability, you have some bias).
»
» Yes. but initial cohort (means first one) is started with 3 patients only. subsequent cohort will have 3+3 patients. Right?

No. The initial cohort is started with 3 patients. If you have 0 or 1 DLT, you enrol 3 more in the same cohort. If you meet the pre-defined criteria, the DMC will allow you to move to the next cohort. There you go through the same process: start with 3, if you have 0 or 1 DLT you add 3 more, and so on until you reach the highest tolerated dose or the highest dose defined in your protocol. All cohorts are treated equally, including the first one.

» » » Further, in next cohort suppose 1 patient is withdrawn or have some AE then its compulsory to add 3 more patients to inline with multiplication of 3?
» »
» » If a patient is withdrawn due to a DLT, see my first paragraph. The patient is not replaced. If he is withdrawn for another reason: you really have to be extra-sure it is really totally unrelated to a DLT. You may decide to replace that patient (meaning, only 1 extra-patient). Make sure this is properly defined in your protocol. I would not use 3 patients to replace just 1.
»
» So, in this case, total 4 patients are required to enroll (1 for replacement and 3 others). Correct?

Two possible situations:

Regards
Ohlbe

Complete thread:

Activity
 Admin contact
21,084 posts in 4,398 threads, 1,468 registered users;
online 3 (0 registered, 3 guests [including 2 identified bots]).
Forum time: Tuesday 00:11 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

To know the history of science is to recognize the mortality
of any claim to universal truth.    Evelyn Fox Keller

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5