OT: I hate software not asking me for the installation path [Software]

posted by PharmCat  – Russia, 2019-12-02 18:29 (1578 d 14:55 ago) – Posting: # 20907
Views: 3,754

❝ Bad luck with Atom. Ended up in c:\Users\{user}\AppData\Local\atom and glued an icon/link on my desktop. Now I have another 850 MiB (7,988 files in 3,982 folders) on my system disk. ?

Hi Helmut,

My apologies - I did not pay attention to it. ? Recently, on Windows machines, there has been a tendency to install software in user directories. I am saddened by this too. And there is no such problems with Linux.

Atom ZIP version could be installed, but in this situation automatically update makes copy in your User directory :angry:

Another way - make a symlink - discussion here.

Other way is to use other IDE: Julia extension for Visual Studio Code or IntelliJ IDEA.

❝ Already Julia gave me the creeps. Though installed on my second disk, I have 221 MiB (24,769 files in 8,951 folders) in c:\Users\{user}\.julia

There are some headache with changing dafault package directory and working directory in Windows, some discussion here and here. ?

One of the best way - to make computation Linux server with Julia and call remote execution from Atom or other IDE. ?

P.S. Just to sweeten the pot - Atom can be used with R and Pyton ?

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,636 registered users;
99 visitors (0 registered, 99 guests [including 7 identified bots]).
Forum time: 09:24 CET (Europe/Vienna)

With four parameters I can fit an elephant,
and with five I can make him wiggle his trunk.    John von Neumann

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5