pristine, genuine, holy, magnificent, inexplicable beautiful variation [General Sta­tis­tics]

posted by ElMaestro  – Denmark, 2019-08-08 12:06 (1684 d 23:37 ago) – Posting: # 20486
Views: 7,482

Hi Hötzi,

❝ The precise model to be used for the analysis should be pre-specified in the protocol. The statistical analysis should take into account sources of variation that can be reasonably assumed to have an effect on the response variable.

❝ Is it reasonable to assume that groups or sequences have an effect on the PK response? Heck, no way! Same inclusion-/exclusion-criteria and hence, similar demographics, same clinical site, same bioanalytical method. Hundreds (thousands?) of studies performed in multiple groups and accepted by European agencies based on pooled data.

But on the other hand: Why then then include e.g. period?

Let us for a moment disregard the actual wording. I don't think this is about assuming that some factor has or hasn't an effect (and not about significance in the statistical sense either). As I see it I want to construct a CI which is as wide as my real uncertainty dictates. I start out with a whole bunch of ugly variation and in the fashion of Michelangelo working on his crude blocks of marble I chip parts and bits away from my bulk of variation by applying my model. What I have left of my variation is a chunk of pristine, genuine, holy, magnificent, beautiful variation. What a sight to behold :-), and whose origin my experimental setup cannot account for, which I therefore use for my CI. My confidence interval now is as wide as just exactly that uncertainty merits.

For a crossover this is of little practical importance since subjects are in groups. For a parallel trial I think I want group in the model. If regulators don't like this, they can ask me to take it away. I happily do so without protesting. I am a sheep at that point. But not until then. :-D

Pass or fail!
ElMaestro

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,940 posts in 4,812 threads, 1,640 registered users;
39 visitors (0 registered, 39 guests [including 5 identified bots]).
Forum time: 10:44 CET (Europe/Vienna)

Those people who think they know everything
are a great annoyance to those of us who do.    Isaac Asimov

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5