Indirect adjusted comparisons in BE [General Sta­tis­tics]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2019-07-21 17:20 (1731 d 03:28 ago) – Posting: # 20417
Views: 4,479

Dear all (and esp. Shuanghe),

I don’t want to hi-jack ElMaestro’s thread about spreadsheets any longer.

Shuanghe and I had an OT-discussion about indirect adjusted comparisons in BE starting here.

I must confess that I don’t get what Luther Gwaza et al.1,2 means by his “pragmatic method”:

This method does not require the assumption of homogeneity of variances (\(SE_d=SE_{A}^{2}+SE_{B}^{2}\)), since it is un­likely verifiable, between studies with small sample sizes that follow Student’s t-test distribution (t0.9,d.f.), whose degrees of freedom are approximated for simplicity as if the variances were homogeneous (n1+n2–2).

Sounds great but how does he pool variances here? If they are weighted by the studies’ sample sizes – which IMHO, is the correct method – we end up in the homoscedastic method, where (in his notation):$$SD_{pooled}^{2}=\frac{(n_1-1)SD_{1}^{2}+(n_2-1)SD_{2}^{2}}{n_1+n_2-2}$$ BTW, is this a typo in the quote? A pooled variance as the sum? I suspect that he simply used the arithmetic mean which would not be correct even for equal samples & variances.
@Shuanghe: How did you do it?

1. Gwaza L, Gordon J, Welink J, Potthast H, Hansson H, Stahl M, García-Arieta A. Statistical approaches to indirectly compare bioequivalence between generics: a comparison of methodologies employing artemether / lume­fantrine 20/120 mg tablets as prequalified by WHO. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2012;68(12):1611–8. doi:10.1007/s00228-012-1396-1.
  2. Gwaza L. Adjusted Indirect Treatment Comparisons of Bioequivalence Studies. PhD Thesis: Utrecht. 2016. [image] free resource.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,984 posts in 4,822 threads, 1,651 registered users;
52 visitors (0 registered, 52 guests [including 7 identified bots]).
Forum time: 20:48 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

You can’t fix by analysis
what you bungled by design.    Richard J. Light, Judith D. Singer, John B. Willett

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5