OT: R limbo 101 [Software]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2019-07-19 15:00 (1736 d 00:24 ago) – Posting: # 20401
Views: 14,069

[image]Dear Ohlbe,

❝ I thought something like if... else... would be very logical and easy. Maybe because these are real words from a language I can understand.

Perfectly understandable. Of course, these constructs exist in R and we use them all the time. The point is only that direct access of values (with a condition) is simply more efficient.
If you don’t have to deal with large data sets, both are fine. Since I deal a lot with simulations (1 mio BE studies with a sometimes high number of subjects / periods / sequences, …) I learned the hard way to avoid the ‘simple’ constructs if ever possible (given, sometimes I know that it could be done but was too stupid).
Think about my previous example. For 1 mio calls the direct access is 15times faster than the loop and if() within. It’s not unusual to have nested calls. For two it would by ~230times slower and for three already ~3,500times. Would test your patience.

❝ But it looks like R and I are following different kinds of logics.

Not necessarily so. See above.

❝ When you learn a new language and start speaking it with somebody, that person will usually show some goodwill, ignore grammatical mistakes and try and understand what you mean. R made no efforts of any kind, even though what I was trying to achieve was pretty obvious :-D

I agree. See the subject line. The man-pages of [image]’s functions were written by statisticians, regularly forgetting non-expert users. Sometimes the response you get is bizarre. Want to know how for() works?

?for
+

+
Fuck, get me out of here! esc
help(for)
Error: unexpected ')' in "help(for)"

What the heck? Shall I really try it without the closing bracket? Strange. OK, OK.
help(for
+

Aha, the closing bracket is missing!
)
Error: unexpected ')' in:
"
)"

You can’t be serious! Google, google, reading the R-Inferno Section 8.2.30. Oh my!
?`for`
help(`for`)

Both work as expected. I don’t know what’s the logic behind. Beyond me.

❝ ❝ If you have a vector of data (say y)

❝ Yeah, ElMaestro started using this kind of vocabulary too when we were exchanging email. […] All I learnt at school about vectors is the geometric side of the concept - what Wikipedia apparently calls Euclidian vector.

Correct.

❝ I had some problems understanding what an arrow between two points had to do with what I was trying to achieve.

Absolutely nothing, of course. In [image] a one-dimensional array is meant. The indexing (i.e., where it starts) differs between languages.In many languages there are three types of data structures: scalar (a single number, character, string, boolean), one- (R: vector) and multidimensional array (R: data.frame and matrix). In R there are no scalars, only vectors containing a single element instead.

x1   <- 1
x2   <- 1L
x3   <- TRUE
x4   <- NA
x5   <- "a"
comp <- matrix(data = c(c(x1, x2, x3, x4, x5),
                        c(is.vector(x1), is.vector(x2), is.vector(x3),
                          is.vector(x4), is.vector(x5)),
                        c(length(x1), length(x2), length(x3),
                          length(x4), length(x5)),
                        c(typeof(x1), typeof(x2), typeof(x3),
                          typeof(x4),typeof(x5))),
               nrow = 5, ncol = 4,
               dimnames = list(paste0("x", 1:5),
                               c("value", "vector?", "length", "type")))
print(as.data.frame(comp))

value vector? length      type
x1     1    TRUE      1    double
x2     1    TRUE      1   integer
x3  TRUE    TRUE      1   logical
x4  <NA>    TRUE      1   logical
x5     a    TRUE      1 character

What makes [image] so powerful is yet another data type, namely the list. A list can contain any of the other types and a mixture of them (even other lists…).

char.vect <- letters[1:2]
int.vect  <- as.integer(1:3)
mydf      <- data.frame(x = 1:4, y = c(4:6, NA))
mymat     <- matrix(data = c(100:102, 2*100:102), nrow = 3, ncol = 2,
                    dimnames = list(paste0("row", 1:3), c("x", "y")))
mylist    <- list(char.vect = char.vect, int.vect = int.vect,
                  mydf = mydf, mymat = mymat)
print(mylist)

$char.vect
[1] "a" "b"

$int.vect
[1] 1 2 3

$mydf
  x  y
1 1  4
2 2  5
3 3  6
4 4 NA

$mymat
       x   y
row1 100 200
row2 101 202
row3 102 204

Elements can be accessed by their name or index.

mylist$mymat["row2", "y"]
[1] 202
mylist$mymat[2, 2]
[1] 202
mylist[[4]][2, 2]
[1] 202

The double square brackets are mandatory to access the root element of lists. Hence, mylist[4][2, 2] does not work:
Error in mylist[4][2, 2] : incorrect number of dimensions

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,987 posts in 4,824 threads, 1,664 registered users;
87 visitors (0 registered, 87 guests [including 1 identified bots]).
Forum time: 15:24 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity
is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.    Voltaire

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5