Nasty beast [Software]

posted by Ohlbe – France, 2019-07-19 13:32 (1704 d 15:22 ago) – Posting: # 20397
Views: 13,612

Dear Helmut,

❝ Using if(), its relatives, and loop-constructs (for(), while(), repeat()) in many cases are prone to errors

❝ Good luck coding that with a loop and a nested if() { do this } else { do that } elseif { oops }

I think that's really what pissed me off. I thought something like if... else... would be very logical and easy. Maybe because these are real words from a language I can understand. But it looks like R and I are following different kinds of logics.

When you learn a new language and start speaking it with somebody, that person will usually show some goodwill, ignore grammatical mistakes and try and understand what you mean. R made no efforts of any kind, even though what I was trying to achieve was pretty obvious :-D

❝ If you have a vector of data (say y)

Yeah, ElMaestro started using this kind of vocabulary too when we were exchanging email. That got me even more confused. All I learnt at school about vectors is the geometric side of the concept - what Wikipedia apparently calls Euclidian vector. I had some problems understanding what an arrow between two points had to do with what I was trying to achieve.
Sorry ElMaestro, we're going quite far from your original question... :offtopic!:

Regards
Ohlbe

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,940 posts in 4,812 threads, 1,639 registered users;
49 visitors (0 registered, 49 guests [including 5 identified bots]).
Forum time: 03:54 CET (Europe/Vienna)

Those people who think they know everything
are a great annoyance to those of us who do.    Isaac Asimov

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5