Nasty beast [Software]

posted by Ohlbe – France, 2019-07-19 13:32 (1735 d 15:48 ago) – Posting: # 20397
Views: 14,106

Dear Helmut,

❝ Using if(), its relatives, and loop-constructs (for(), while(), repeat()) in many cases are prone to errors

❝ Good luck coding that with a loop and a nested if() { do this } else { do that } elseif { oops }

I think that's really what pissed me off. I thought something like if... else... would be very logical and easy. Maybe because these are real words from a language I can understand. But it looks like R and I are following different kinds of logics.

When you learn a new language and start speaking it with somebody, that person will usually show some goodwill, ignore grammatical mistakes and try and understand what you mean. R made no efforts of any kind, even though what I was trying to achieve was pretty obvious :-D

❝ If you have a vector of data (say y)

Yeah, ElMaestro started using this kind of vocabulary too when we were exchanging email. That got me even more confused. All I learnt at school about vectors is the geometric side of the concept - what Wikipedia apparently calls Euclidian vector. I had some problems understanding what an arrow between two points had to do with what I was trying to achieve.
Sorry ElMaestro, we're going quite far from your original question... :offtopic!:

Regards
Ohlbe

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,987 posts in 4,824 threads, 1,669 registered users;
73 visitors (0 registered, 73 guests [including 4 identified bots]).
Forum time: 05:21 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity
is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.    Voltaire

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5