bear v1.0.0 for R... [🇷 for BE/BA]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2008-07-14 20:56 (5763 d 12:02 ago) – Posting: # 2029
Views: 56,620

Dear Yung-jin!

❝ ❝ Is bear looking at a particular path – differently from the one set in R?

❝ Yes, R uses its accessible file path.

Strange. Of course it changed the path to different locations (including the usual suspects: the desktop, path of R, and R/bin) and placed the file in all these locations. In my example the path was set by R, and I was able to read it from the console by read.table() - but got the error from bear.

❝ [...] we have to leave it as options to allow users to use semicolon (;) or comma (,) as the separator. Is there any other separators which are used in .csv format?

Actually there’s not even a definition what 'CSV' stands for. The original term was indeed 'Comma Separated variables', but better should be read 'Character Separated variables'. Personally I got only files with tabs, commas, blanks, semicolons, and – only once! – colons.
Maybe it's possible to implement a question/answer game with the user about his/her file's content and format. Otherwise I expect you will get a lot of e-mails…
Since everything is possible, read.table() has these two arguments:
sep the field separator character. Values on each line of the file are separated by this character. If sep = "" (the default for read.table) the separator is 'white space', that is one or more spaces, tabs, newlines or carriage returns.
dec the character used in the file for decimal points.

❝ Thanks again, HS.

You are welcome. Please call me Helmut; stupid me has chosen my initials as the user name in registering to my own forum– ;-)

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
Thread locked

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,993 posts in 4,828 threads, 1,656 registered users;
113 visitors (0 registered, 113 guests [including 2 identified bots]).
Forum time: 08:59 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

Never never never never use Excel.
Not even for calculation of arithmetic means.    Martin Wolfsegger

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5