CDISC datasets from R. Why not? [Software]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2019-03-21 11:47 (1856 d 08:11 ago) – Posting: # 20064
Views: 8,169

Hi WhiteCoatWriter,

❝ […] if it is possible to perform CDISC datasets (SDTM and ADAM) on R while the final product is expected to be in .XPT format.

Why not?

❝ While the regulatory doesn't specify software or the means, …

Correct. The FDA nowhere mandates SAS or recommends any particular software. E.g., Certara provides the Phoenix CDISC Navigator for import/export in Phoenix/WinNonlin.

❝ … it mandates that the final output is in .XPT format (which is SAS format).

Correct. Though there is hope to move towards XML. Abstract:

At the FDA's request, a CDISC-sponsored group has developed an XML-based replacement for the SAS version 5 transport files that are currently used to send case report tabulations clinical trials data to the FDA. Limitations of version 5 transport files such as 8 character variable names, 40 character labels for variables, a 200 character limit for character data, an idiosyncratic representation for dates and times, and sparse built-in metadata stored with the data have become noticeable and troublesome as such limitations have disappeared from other software used in clinical data management. CDISC has developed the more flexible XML-based Operational Data Model (ODM). ODM provides XML analogs to "forms" and "fields" and it has built-in support for extensive metadata. ODM does not specify names for clinical domains (i.e., adverse events, medical history) or data fields. CDISC's Submissions Data Standards (SDS) specifies a structure and metadata for clinical domains and data fields. ODM, by design, provides an excellent XML format for clinical trials data with the SDS-specified structure and metadata. This ODM/SDS combination is the basis for the XML replacement for version 5 transport files in regulatory submissions.

(My emphases. I know, the document is 15 (!) years old.)

❝ I want to understand, if there will be any issues/challenged in executing and submitting datasets generated using R?

None – if the code is validated… You have to start with the package SASxport, which you have to validate first. Though you can dump the functions to inspect the code (in the R-console type e.g., write.xport) I suggest to get the source from CRAN. Much easier. Then write your own code to modify the data (rename fields, change formats, etc.). At the end it would be a good idea to check whether your file can be imported into other software. If you don’t have SAS, opt for a trial license of Phoenix or a demo of Stat/Transfer (I paid USD 295 in 2014 for v12; the current v14 comes for USD 349).

If you are an experienced R-coder, consider writing a package (see here and there). The community will love you.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,988 posts in 4,825 threads, 1,661 registered users;
118 visitors (0 registered, 118 guests [including 7 identified bots]).
Forum time: 20:59 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity
is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.    Voltaire

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5