Therapeutic Occupancy Time / MEC [🇷 for BE/BA]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2008-06-30 18:45 (5750 d 18:14 ago) – Posting: # 1989
Views: 33,523

Dear Ace,

OK, now everything’s clear. I like the way you set the limits – I would have used brute force and removed the datapoints from the data.frame… ;-)

In case you need the reference – it’s only one paragraph and a figure:

Occupancy time
  Where a therapeutic window exists, ‘Therapeutic Occupancy Time’1, the time that the plasma concentration stays within the therapeutic range, becomes an important criterion. In steady-state, the percentage of time the drug concentrations lies within the therapeutic window is important. In the cited example, the drug lies within the therapeutic window for the subject population about 80% of the time (Fig. 4).
[image]

The figure is a nice illustration of the interpolation/intersection.
It should be noted that there’s also an upper limit, which complicates things: two formulations may have identical occupancy times from differently shaped curves! If not only the MIC but also toxicity is an issue, I would not suggest using the Occupancy Time without a thorough inspection of individual profiles.

Another one, mixing up concentration (PK) with effect (PD) a little bit:2
[image]

1. Skelly JP, Barr WH. Biopharmaceutic considerations in designing and evaluating novel drug delivery systems. Clin Res Pract Drug Reg Aff. 1985;3(4):501–39. doi:10.3109/10601338509051086.
    [image]
  2. Goodman & Gilman’s The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. McGraw-Hill; 11th ed. 2006. p.19.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,636 registered users;
123 visitors (0 registered, 123 guests [including 10 identified bots]).
Forum time: 12:00 CET (Europe/Vienna)

With four parameters I can fit an elephant,
and with five I can make him wiggle his trunk.    John von Neumann

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5