Model Type III Sum of Squares [General Sta­tis­tics]

posted by Obinoscopy  – USA, 2018-12-23 17:44 (1944 d 12:12 ago) – Posting: # 19708
Views: 5,715

Hi ElMaestro,

❝ Please explain. When there is balance then the type I and type III SS should be the same in these BE trials, shouldn't they? Your Venn diagram should in my expectation have no overlapping circles.

Now I'm more confused :(

This question you asked was one of the very reason I created this thread.

I had thought that for a balanced BE design, the Type I SS for the different factors should be exactly the same as the Type III SS for those factors.

Also I had thought that if the above paragraph is true, then it should mean that the sum of the Type I SS of the different factors should be equal to the sum of the Type III SS which is in turn should be equal to the SS total for a balanced BE design.

I created this thread because the statement in the above paragraph was not what I observed for Type III SS in the several SAS outputs I looked at.

The statement of yours that almost made me understand the reason for the discrepancy was that what we consider balanced ANOVA in a BE design is not the way the Non-BE designs see theirs.

Scopy

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,988 posts in 4,825 threads, 1,654 registered users;
129 visitors (0 registered, 129 guests [including 6 identified bots]).
Forum time: 06:57 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The whole purpose of education is
to turn mirrors into windows.    Sydney J. Harris

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5